Libre 2+ will apparently be offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
According to the latest episode of the DSN forum podcast. Apparently it has better connectivity (I presume it allows two Bluetooth devices to connect or something) which makes it a better CGM for HCL. Also better accuracy. They also say it's the same price so may replace Libre 2 over time. (All of which seems a bit surprising to me: I thought they wanted to move everyone to Libre 3. But it seems there's still life in the Libre 2, at least in some countries.)

Omnipod emailed me today telling me the "great" news about the Omnipod5 and Libre 2 Plus working together.
Not sure how this helps anything, it all still a waiting game. Agreed I thought they wanted everyone on libre 3. Maybe if it helps with costs it will help users get access easier / quicker.

Maybe if it helps with costs it will help users get access easier / quicker.
Which is part of what's confusing. I thought Libre 3 was cheaper to produce.

But maybe a new Libre 2 makes sense because it was more expensive than they expected to refit the factories for Libre 3 or something. Anyway, it seems they're keeping with the larger size for a while longer. (Maybe the battery can be larger and that helps.)

Which is part of what's confusing. I thought Libre 3 was cheaper to produce.

But maybe a new Libre 2 makes sense because it was more expensive than they expected to refit the factories for Libre 3 or something. Anyway, it seems they're keeping with the larger size for a while longer. (Maybe the battery can be larger and that helps.)
I don't mind this size, not sure a smaller one is any interest for me personally. Would be better if it could be worn other than the arm (based on advice)
I met someone who wears hers on her boob 😳 arm is better than that

I don't mind this size, not sure a smaller one is any interest for me personally.
I think it's fine too, but if it were smaller I wouldn't complain. I think people have said the packaging's different, with the applicator and sensor more ready to go (so the packaging is about half the size), and reducing that waste seems useful. But maybe that's a change they can also make with the Libre 2 size.

According to the marketing data Abbott have put out in the last week, the only things they have have changed with the current Libre 2 is that the Libre 2 Plus is (1) 15 day wear; (2) less likely to give erratic readings if the user has taken excessive amounts of vitamin C and (3) the Libre 2 Plus is supposed to have greater accuracy/MARD than the Libre 2, particularly when glucose is at lower levels.

Abbott are supposed to be making the exact same changes by bringing out a Freestyle Libre 3 Plus at some point this year/next year. When that happens there will be little or no difference between the Libre 2 Plus and Libre 3 Plus in terms of how it works or the algorithm, just as there is little or no difference between the Libre 2 or Libre 3 now, other than size.

My understanding is it is usually the responsibility of the pump manufacturer to apply for legal permission for a particular cgm to be used as part of a hybrid closed loop. And that takes time.

The Freestyle Libre 3 is now on the NHS England national Formulary. So in theory any GP can prescribe it. Unfortunately each Libre 3 sensor costs your prescribing GP/your local health authority/integrated care system/integrated care board,/former ccg £42 (each Libre 2 sensor costs £35. Abbott have indicated the Libre 2 Plus sensor will each cost £35). So there is already a disincentive for every health authority/integrated care system/integrated care board/former ccg not to allow patients in their area to have the Libre 3 or Libre 3 Plus.

I would prefer an all-in-one product, that is smaller and uses less plastic and packaging.

The only thing that concerns me about the Libre 3/Libre 3 Plus is it is supposed to have a mandatory low alarm which can't be switched to vibrate only. THE US Food and Drug Administration insisted on this (which is odd as they didn't insist on it for licensing the Libre 2). I know many diabetics welcome that. I don't. I want more flexibility.

Last edited:
The only thing that concerns me about the Libre 3/Libre 3 Plus is it is supposed to have a mandatory low alarm which can't be switched to vibrate only. THE US Food and Drug Administration insisted on this (which is odd as they didn't insist on it for licensing the Libre 2).
The Medtrum CGM that I use has a mandatory low alarm fixed at 3.1 mmol/l which is always an audible alarm (although you can charge the alarm sound). There is another low alarm which you can set yourself to any level and only vibrate so I rarely get to hear the 3.1 alarm.
Not sure if the Libre 3 is similar.

I only ordered Libre 2 sensors in the last 10 days,and to purchase from them they are still 48.29, to purchase. Is the prices you are quoting the cost to NHS.

I only ordered Libre 2 sensors in the last 10 days,and to purchase from them they are still 48.29, to purchase. Is the prices you are quoting the cost to NHS.
Yes, if you buy Libre 2 direct from Abbott (or via a retailer) you will be charged more. The £35 per sensor I mentioned earlier is what NHS England/your GP practice in England pay per each sensor if you get Libre 2 sensors on prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back