Libre 2 Versus Dexcom - One Minute Versus Five Minute Readings - Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been using the FreeStyle Libre (first Libre 1 and now Libre 2) for the last three years. I've also recently tried using the Dexcom CGM for the past month.

Having looked at and used both of them I'm seriously thinking of changing from Freestyle Libre 2 to Dexcom One - although if I do that I will use the Dexcom One sensors with an Anubis transmitter so that it can essentially be a Dexcom G6 set-up. I particularly like the greater flexibility and configurability of the alarms with the Dexcom app versus LibreLink and the fact that Dexcom is a more open platform making it much easier to get readings on my Garmin watch and other apps.

I am hesitating however, due to one single reason, and that is because the FreeStyle Libre 2 gives rtCGM readings every minute and the Dexcom only gives readings every five minutes.

But, I do find myself wondering if I am falling into the trap of thinking more (readings) is better when there might not really be any significant advantage to readings every minute.

So there questions is, is this the case? Is there any real reason why one minute readings is really better than five minutes readings?

Do people have any other views of the Pros and Cons of Libre versus Dexcom?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, views or comments.

Marcus

I find the one minute readings more convenient but I do keep my levels very tight, I found the dexcom one very bulky and the app for Dexcom one pretty poor (not that the Libre app is much better). I use Diabox with the Libre, alarms are fully customisable readings can be uploaded to nightscout, shared with smart watches and you can have followers. The delta figure that shows your rise or fall in numbers is fantastic compared to the arrows, you can see how fast you are actually dropping or rising per minute. You also get a true graph with every reading plotted on the graph, not a 15 minute average like the Libre graph. Like any open source software you have to accept there may be teathing troubles.

I prefere the 5 min readings...its easier to figure out if a fall in blood sugars is maintaining itself, getting more severe, or starting to bottom out.
Couldn't do that with libre

I prefer Dexcom. Five minute readings are better, they stop you checking every minute whilst hypo

I prefere the 5 min readings...its easier to figure out if a fall in blood sugars is maintaining itself, getting more severe, or starting to bottom out.
Couldn't do that with libre
I must admit I tend to ignore the minute to minute changes. Better to wait for a bit and see if the changes persist or not.

I'd like to imagine the difference is some careful tradeoff, with Dexcom choosing 5 minutes because it was good enough (they have predictive alarms so can save some battery power using 5 minutes) whereas Abbott have a simpler system (a bit easier to get approved) so went with once a minute for the alarms.

It's probably much more accidental than that, though. Likely Abbott's sensors use slightly newer electronics and can last for 14 days with once a minute messages, whereas Dexcom's transmitters last for 3 months and are presumably using older technology (or started with older technology) and just can't.

Conversely, I have been using Dex (G6) for several years and I’m really impressed with its accuracy, but MAN is it ever laggy.

I really don’t understand why they restrict data points to every 5 minutes, and can’t do something to try to algorithmically soften the “10 minutes behind reality” behaviour I experience - which if the timing of my occasionally annoyingly trapezium-wave BG changes is slightly wrong can mean the sensor is almost 15 minutes behind.

Sometimes I feel the little twinge of hypo, check Dex at 5.2, double check fingerprick and get 3.8. So treat and then have to grit my teeth as Dex (and pump) eventually catch on over the next 10-15 minutes and ‘alert me’ to an impending low that I’ve already treated!

I think I remember Medtronic Enlite / Guardian / G3 was every minute too. Do you know @SB2015 ?

When I used L2 with Juggluco the 1 minute reading were shown as a very rough 'saw tooth' graph. A scan could be overlayed which showed a much smoother picture. Now I'm using the current LV software. Quite often an alarm figure would scare me, but by the the time the graph shows it it has been smoothed. So that's an area that could do with some work to prevent a rush for the Jelly Babies! But seriously, it demonstrates how a bit of patience before reacting is the order of the day. Now all I have to do is remember that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back