Libre 2 unrealiability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think the Libre system is a wonderful step forward but oh! the unreliability! After some 6 months (i.e. 12 sensors) i am on my 4th replacement sensor. Just had another failure and no replacement to hand. Most inconvenient and means I always have to have a finger pricker kit close by. It is rather like owning an Austin Allegro and having to carry a bycycle on the back seat.

It has been really reliable so far for me using the reader, as the original Libre was. My gut feeling is that it is the phone software/updates which cause most of the issues with Libre 2.

Yes, there have been some issues with Libre. However, you should always have finger prick kit close by as it is recommended to check highs and lows before treating. Plus, the DVLA stipulate you must carry a finger prick kit with you when driving.

Last edited:
Plus, the DVLA stipulate you must carry a finger prick kit with you when driving.
Thankfully it takes up less space than a bike too!

It has been really reliable so far for me using the reader, as the original Libre was. My gut feeling is that it is the phone software/updates which cause most of the issues with Libre 2.
I've been using Libre 1 & 2 for 5 years now and only ever had 2 rogue sensors (both of which failed before they even got going). I've used Libre with two different iPhones in that time and had no problems with either app or iOS updates nor with the change of phone.

However I found the reader an absolute pain - clunky and non-intuitive - I only keep it in case some disaster befalls my phone!

Just goes to show how different we all are!

Libre loved waking me up at night. And it always went off in the bath. Dexcom is a lot more reliable so far

I think the Libre system is a wonderful step forward but oh! the unreliability! After some 6 months (i.e. 12 sensors) i am on my 4th replacement sensor. Just had another failure and no replacement to hand. Most inconvenient and means I always have to have a finger pricker kit close by. It is rather like owning an Austin Allegro and having to carry a bycycle on the back seat.

Ha remember Austin Allegro.

Own conclusion is that some people are just unlucky & find that libre, no matter what version it just doesn't seem to work for them, I've had so few issues with L2 its not worth a mention, with L1 biggest was software on reader, once updated it worked fine.

At some point this year will be changing to Dexcom G6 & can only hope its as good if not better.

I think g6 is better. Only real downside is it only reads blood sugars every 5 min, but then in circumstances where you need them more frequantly you would probably test blood. Oh, and the 2 hrs warmup and only lasting 10 days are a bit of a pain. Its more accurate and doesn't over exagerate when bs are rising/falling like libre 2 and doesn't keep sensor erriring when things get interesting

Different cgms suit different people.
G6 was rubbish for me. Libre on xDrip (so I could calibrate it) was better.

Screenshot_20230212-132230[3570].jpg
I get this scan error message on pretty much 80% of my scans sometimes twice before I get a proper reading.
I also get the phone going off after I've put it down to tell me it couldn't scan my novopen. I don't have a pen I can scan! I wish there was a way of turning that off but I haven't found one. Is there one.
Reliability I'm fairly happy with though.

I get this scan error message on pretty much 80% of my scans sometimes twice before I get a proper reading.
I get that, too. I can only imagine the NFC antenna is somehow at the wrong position to read the sensor cleanly, but somehow tries anyway and fails. (With my old phone it often just didn't read it until I'd got the phone in the right place but I didn't get the annoying model error dialog.)
I don't have a pen I can scan! I wish there was a way of turning that off but I haven't found one.
And you don't have any pens registered? That's odd. I can't imagine what might cause that. Even if you did have such pens, come to think of it. Unless it's detecting something that seems a bit like a pen, but that feels unlikely.

Isn't modern wireless technology fun?

Make sure the phone is held to get first vibration and then hold the phone still for second vibration. If it moves between the vibrations that causes a scan error. Perhaps you do it but try and hope it helps.

Make sure the phone is held to get first vibration and then hold the phone still for second vibration. If it moves between the vibrations that causes a scan error. Perhaps you do it but try and hope it helps.
I do! My point (which I didn't really make clear to be fair) is that this is a recent thing probably due to a phone software upgrade perhaps? I've been using Libre for about 18 months and never had this issue before with this scan error.

Maybe my hand is not a steady as it once was!

I just thought it was worth saying. If it worked OK before it sounds like update issues.

I do! My point (which I didn't really make clear to be fair) is that this is a recent thing probably due to a phone software upgrade perhaps? I've been using Libre for about 18 months and never had this issue before with this scan error.

Maybe my hand is not a steady as it once was!
I have always found the phone a but more difficult to get spot on
to read.

With regard to Rebrascors answer,and similar answes on this thread, that it is probably my phone or app

Why does he replacement sensor work immediatly after it is installed.

No, it is definatly the sensor that is faulty. When I have a good sensor I have no problems at all. I still maintain that Abbott do not have any quality control in place. They replace with no problem at all and do not ask for the faulty sensor back so they can investigate why it is faulty. It is probably cheaper to just replace faulty than have a quality control in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back