Libre 2 sensor

Mushy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
I’m new to the site and have a question regarding the Libre 2 sensor which I have just been offered. I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere. Can you use the reader and the phone app at the same time or is it one device (reader or app) per a sensor. I can’t find it but I’m sure I read that once you activate the sensor with either the reader or app, or stuck with that device until you change the sensor and choose which device you want to activate it with again.

Sorry if I have posted it in the wrong place or if it has been answered, as I said I’m new to the site.

Yes you can use both a reader and your phone but in order to use both you must start it with the reader first, also it means the alarms will only sound on the reader and not the phone xx

Added to @Kaylz post, If you really want the alarms on the phone, then you have to start it with the phone but then you can't use the reader. It is not an ideal situation, so you need to decide what is most important to you or suits you best.

Yes you can use both a reader and your phone but in order to use both you must start it with the reader first, also it means the alarms will only sound on the reader and not the phone xx
Thanks for your reply, the rep did say this but was still confused. Now I know this, hoping to start using it later today

Added to @Kaylz post, If you really want the alarms on the phone, then you have to start it with the phone but then you can't use the reader. It is not an ideal situation, so you need to decide what is most important to you or suits you best.
This is a limitation of small (and cheap) Bluetooth chips. They can only pair with one device.
I can understand the design decision.

Given that readers have been out of stock for months, I would not be surprised if they are discontinued. I think I remember a rumour that Libre 3 does not have a reader.

Given that readers have been out of stock for months, I would not be surprised if they are discontinued.
Which is a shame, I think. As a glucometer it's quite nice (at least, the Libre 1 reader is). And it has a bolus calculator.

just a little tip is to start the sensor at least 1day after you put it on then you will get more accurate readings from the start i sometimes i wait 2days before starting it, good luck.

Which is a shame, I think. As a glucometer it's quite nice (at least, the Libre 1 reader is). And it has a bolus calculator.

And takes ketone strips too!

Thanks, some useful info. Just inserted the sensor, was abit about putting it in, but did feel it. Still can’t decide phone or reader, I like read sounds of the read as you can use my blood/ketone strips with it. Also I’m a heavy phone user so worried about my phone dying and not knowing what my levels are. What route have you gone down?

Last edited:
I use my phone as always have it with me and don't want another thing to carry.
I find the reader bulky compared to my usual meter.

Like @helli I also use my phone and like helli too my meter is far dinkier than the Libre reader as I use one that resembles a USB stick shape xx

I use the reader, and also get the Optium strips prescribed so I can use it as my meter as well. The Libre reader is much less bulky than my phone, and when I’m on a horse, the last thing I want is a bulky phone in a pocket, whereas the reader fits snugly into a shirt pocket and I’m hardly aware it’s there.

Hi all
I’m new to the site and have a question regarding the Libre 2 sensor which I have just been offered. I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere. Can you use the reader and the phone app at the same time or is it one device (reader or app) per a sensor. I can’t find it but I’m sure I read that once you activate the sensor with either the reader or app, or stuck with that device until you change the sensor and choose which device you want to activate it with again.

Sorry if I have posted it in the wrong place or if it has been answered, as I said I’m new to the site.
Hi Mushy

You can use the Libre
Hi all

Hi Mushy
Yes you can use the sensor and your phone at the same time. But you will only get the alarm from whatever one you scanned first.

But please be careful relying on the alarms. I personally have had a lot of issues with the alarm not going off on the alarm target that I have set

Yes you can use the sensor and your phone at the same time. But you will only get the alarm from whatever one you scanned first.
But as already mentioned you can only use both a reader and a phone if you start the sensor with the reader, if you activate the sensor with a phone you can't then use the reader xx

I only use the iPhone to scan the sensor but keep the Freestyle Libre reader just for occasional finger prick checks. Best get used to just using the phone to scan the sensor as the Freestyle Libre 3 is on the way soon and you get no choice with that. It's got to be used with a smartphone with NFC and Bluetooth only. The NFC is used to start the sensor and from then on, it sends all data by Bluetooth to the phone.

Back