Libre 2 sensor “pulling” sensation on arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal422

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice on the Libre 2. Forgive me if this sounds really silly, but it is bothering me,
perhaps more than it should do!

I have been using the Libre 2 for just over 4 months now and the new sensor I applied yesterday is the first one that I can feel as being on my arm. All the others I’ve not been aware of having them on my arm at all, one or two stung a bit when applied but that feeling was short lived and then nothing else afterwards. With this one it almost feels a bit like it is “pulling”, especially when moving my arm in certain directions, but not all the time. There is no pain or irritation at all.

I’m thinking it may be just how the adhesive patch has attached? Perhaps to a slight skin fold, or a hair which causes the tugging/pulling sensation when moving the arm? It is reading fairly accurate on its first day and for me they have always read a bit lower on the first day, after that they seem to get more accurate. So, I don’t want to remove it and try another one so I guess I just need to put up with it. Maybe these things vary depending on how and exactly where they attach?

Just wondering about other people’s experience and if this is just something that happens every once in a while?

I’m thinking it may be just how the adhesive patch has attached? Perhaps to a slight skin fold, or a hair which causes the tugging/pulling sensation when moving the arm?
That would be my guess, too. Not sure what you could usefully try. If it continues to be annoying, maybe (making sure you have tape or something to use) try gently lifting one edge and stretching your skin (and/or moving a caught hair), and then use tape to secure it again. It's not something I've encountered.

I know what you mean and have felt something similar for a day after applying my sensor but it has always eased by itself.

It sounds like the adhesive. I had major chest surgery in may and my biggest issues post op were significant sensory issues from the surgical tape!

Yes, I have had this sensation very occasionally with Libre sensors. I am not sure if it is a hair or perhaps the filament just nicks a nerve and irritates or pulls at it like you say when you move your arm. It has always settled down after a day or 3 without any intervention when it has occurred with me.

Thanks everyone! I know this post must have sounded a bit pathetic, I’m afraid every so often irrational anxiety steps in and I worry about the most trivial and stupid of things! It is so good to have others on here who relate to these sort of things and help to give me some grounding and perspective.

In the end I managed to find a hair that was half trapped under one edge of the adhesive and after freeing that it seemed to settle and I no longer felt the pulling sensation. It does seem to be ok now thank goodness.

It is amazing how the brain can become aware of sensations/pain, etc. and then choose to ignore it after a day or two. Pretty useful really otherwise we wouldn’t be able to put up with much!

Well I have decided to quit on sensor #13. Having sorted out the pulling sensation it felt perfectly normal for me, i.e. I wasn’t aware of it at all. However, yesterday and today it was reading a good 3 lower than BG, discovered by testing as I didn’t believe the low 4s it was telling me. I hate to waste a sensor, but I just couldn’t cope with it being so inaccurate, especially over Christmas when I will be eating different things to normal and wanting to rely on the Libre readings.

Luckily I have some sensors in hand and due another couple on prescription tomorrow, so I decided to just swap to a new one this evening and not bother calling Abbott. I kinda feel that maybe the sensor landed near a muscle or something and on removal there is a little lump where it was, so possibly some reaction rather than a faulty sensor.

Fingers crossed for sensor #14, initial reading was just 1 less than BG taken 15 minutes prior to the first scan after its warm up period and a steady BG over the previous hour and a half. So I reckon that’s a good starting point and an accurate reading. I may check again in the morning if the overnight chart is steady but have decided to just go with the Libre readings after that otherwise I will drive myself mad trying to compare the two which is a bit like comparing apples and pears.

That seems rubbish...i mean, you expect it to be inaccurate on day one, but not after. I insert new libre 24 hours before old one expirers, to allow it to settle in before i start it. That helps

That seems rubbish...i mean, you expect it to be inaccurate on day one, but not after. I insert new libre 24 hours before old one expirers, to allow it to settle in before i start it. That helps
I know, it did start off feeling a bit odd but after removing the trapped hair I thought that was all it was and it would be ok, however it never totally felt right even though better.

It’s a bit annoying that we are the ones who have to deal with Abbott over replacements, I’m not sure the NHS get to see exactly how many sensors are faulty and replaced. In this case though I’m not convinced it was actually a faulty sensor, just how it was in my arm which could happen to anyone at any time. In these cases should we get on to Abbott for a replacement or end up getting additional sensors on prescription from the GP? As I said, in this case I do actually have a couple of sensors in hand from the result of previous replacements and the GP being helpful in letting me have an extra couple due to wanting some spares to go away on holiday with earlier in the year.

In these cases should we get on to Abbott for a replacement
My understand is yes. You're using it as intended so it's a failure of the applicator or sensor. And sure, maybe it's just something that happens beyond Abbott's control now and again, but that's still their problem and they should cost that in.

My understand is yes. You're using it as intended so it's a failure of the applicator or sensor. And sure, maybe it's just something that happens beyond Abbott's control now and again, but that's still their problem and they should cost that in.
Thanks for the advice, I’ve just completed details of this issue on their contact form, so let’s see what they come back with.

Reactions: Tdm
Update from Abbott, they asked for more details by email :

1a) The serial number of your FreeStyle Libre 2 Reader. This can be found on the back of the device.
- What is the Reader software version? (Main screen -> Settings (cog icon in upper-right corner) -> System Status (page 2/3) -> System Info -> Reader Version)
1b) Or, if you are using the FreeStyle Librelink App:
- what version of operating system is your Android or Apple smartphone running? (this can be found in the FreeStyle LibreLink app under Settings -> About -> OS Version)
- what version of the FreeStyle LibreLink app is installed on your smartphone? (this can be found in the FreeStyle LibreLink app under Settings -> About -> Software Full Version).
- what is the exact model of the smartphone using the FreeStyle LibreLink app?

2) Date of sensor application, date of sensor failure.

3) How long have you been using the FreeStyle Libre 2 System?

4) What were you doing when the Sensor failed (Bathing, Sleeping, Exercising, Changing clothes etc.)?

5) Error message displayed on screen (if any)

6) Error codes corresponding to the time of the fault. The codes are located –
In the Reader's memory: Main screen -> Settings (cog icon in upper-right corner) -> System Status (page 2/3) -> System Info -> Page 1/3.
In FreeStyle LibreLink application: -> Settings -> Help -> Event Log.
You can also send us a screenshot of the ‘Event Log’. (Error code is a 3 digit number, for example Er 365, 366, etc.,)

7) Please provide name of meter used for blood glucose results. If the comparison is done with an Abbott meter please provide the serial number of meter and LOT number of the test strips used.

8) What was the position of the trend arrow at time of comparison?

9) Was the sensor applied per instructions in the User Manual, and were the reader and sensor kept in their respective storage and operating temperatures?

10) Any additional information which may be of importance.

11) Is the faulty sensor available for return? (Please do not discard faulty hardware until contacting Customer Care and receiving confirmation whether or not it should be returned for evaluation.)

12) Did this issue result in third party medical intervention, loss of consciousness or seizure? (E. g. Were paramedics called?) Kindly note that as this is a medical device, this information is required to be documented onto our Complaint Handling system.

13) Where did you obtain your FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensor? (Abbott web shop, prescription, pharmacy purchase).

14) If our troubleshooting results in a replacement device being sent, please confirm the delivery address.

15) Please confirm your full name and contact telephone number.

I completed the above and sent it back to them last night, it will be interesting to see what they say.

Just had an email from Abbott today to say they are sending me a replacement, via DPD (they used Royal Mail before, maybe they’ve switched due to the strikes?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back