Libre 2 security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been using a Libre 2 for a month, the first one came off after three days so I am a little anxious in case it happens again. I note that there are various patches and straps you can buy to secure the sensor and would be grateful for advice as to whether they work and what is the best type to buy. Thank you.

I believe @rebrascora uses one of the straps and I think @ColinUK uses patches.

For me, I discovered if I get placement right, I do not need anything to keep a sensor in place.
Placement starts with ensuring my arm is clean, dry and not at all greasy. This means avoiding any showergel with moisturiser and any moisturiser after the shower. If it is a few hours since showering, I wipe my arm with alcohol. Some people use individually wrapped alcohol wipes. I find a tissue with some surgical spirit creates less waste.
The next step is choosing an area for the sensor. It may be obvious but the sensors don;t bend. My common error when I started was placing the sensor on an area of my arm which flexes. As I am a climber this includes avoiding my bicep. FOr me, the best area is high on the back of my arm - almost in line with my arm pit. This is an area I do not lie on or knock as well as flat and unbending.
The final step with placement is letting the glue get fast. What this means is avoiding getting it wet for at least 12 hours. I usually try to apply my sensor in the morning after my shower which gives me until the next morning's shower to "fasten".

I have been doing this for years without a patch or a strap and not lost a sensor since I learnt to remember it was there when dressing (bra straps used to be their nemesis).

I believe @rebrascora uses one of the straps and I think @ColinUK uses patches.

For me, I discovered if I get placement right, I do not need anything to keep a sensor in place.
Placement starts with ensuring my arm is clean, dry and not at all greasy. This means avoiding any showergel with moisturiser and any moisturiser after the shower. If it is a few hours since showering, I wipe my arm with alcohol. Some people use individually wrapped alcohol wipes. I find a tissue with some surgical spirit creates less waste.
The next step is choosing an area for the sensor. It may be obvious but the sensors don;t bend. My common error when I started was placing the sensor on an area of my arm which flexes. As I am a climber this includes avoiding my bicep. FOr me, the best area is high on the back of my arm - almost in line with my arm pit. This is an area I do not lie on or knock as well as flat and unbending.
The final step with placement is letting the glue get fast. What this means is avoiding getting it wet for at least 12 hours. I usually try to apply my sensor in the morning after my shower which gives me until the next morning's shower to "fasten".

I have been doing this for years without a patch or a strap and not lost a sensor since I learnt to remember it was there when dressing (bra straps used to be their nemesis).
Thanks for your helpful advice.

Hi.

Firstly, having a good application procedure is important and ensuring the site is clean and dry. I give my arm (actually my whole body) a good scrub in the shower with an exfoliating glove and shower gel and then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly. I actually blast my arm with the hair drier just before application to make absolutely sure it is dry and I think the heat from the hair drier also aids adhesion. When I apply it, I hold the applicator in place for 60 seconds after application before I wriggle it free.... again to give the sensor the best chance to adhere in case the applicator snags (as it usually does 🙄 ) and risks disturbing the filament. Then I apply my arm strap. I bought one of the adjustable elastic bands straps with a 3D printed watch face which fits over the Libre and holds it against your arm around the rim. I also do the application before bed so that the sensor has all night for the adhesive to get a good hold before it is exposed to any potential hazards. I used to wear my arm strap for the full 14 days but now I just wear it for2-3 days and that seems to ensure the sensor has a really good hold on my skin and then I just put it on when I am going in the shower to act as a visual reminder, so that I don't forget which arm it is on and accidentally try to scrub it off.

I find this arm band has made an enormous difference to the adhesion and protection of my sensors and was well worth the £8.95 as my sensors are always still stuck like limpets on day 15 (I apply each sensor a day early to give it bedding in time before I activate it. Before this, I had pinged them off on door frames, horse feed bins, clothing (sports bra straps are Libre nemesis) and scrubbed a couple loose in the shower.... despite going into the shower thinking I must remember Libre is on my arm and to be careful.... Doesn't help that I alternate arms so I very easily forget which arm it is on!

I would certainly recommend this type of strap. I got mine off ebay and there were a lot of colour combinations available between discreet skin tone and loud and proud neon.

Hi.

Firstly, having a good application procedure is important and ensuring the site is clean and dry. I give my arm (actually my whole body) a good scrub in the shower with an exfoliating glove and shower gel and then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly. I actually blast my arm with the hair drier just before application to make absolutely sure it is dry and I think the heat from the hair drier also aids adhesion. When I apply it, I hold the applicator in place for 60 seconds after application before I wriggle it free.... again to give the sensor the best chance to adhere in case the applicator snags (as it usually does 🙄 ) and risks disturbing the filament. Then I apply my arm strap. I bought one of the adjustable elastic bands straps with a 3D printed watch face which fits over the Libre and holds it against your arm around the rim. I also do the application before bed so that the sensor has all night for the adhesive to get a good hold before it is exposed to any potential hazards. I used to wear my arm strap for the full 14 days but now I just wear it for2-3 days and that seems to ensure the sensor has a really good hold on my skin and then I just put it on when I am going in the shower to act as a visual reminder, so that I don't forget which arm it is on and accidentally try to scrub it off.

I find this arm band has made an enormous difference to the adhesion and protection of my sensors and was well worth the £8.95 as my sensors are always still stuck like limpets on day 15 (I apply each sensor a day early to give it bedding in time before I activate it. Before this, I had pinged them off on door frames, horse feed bins, clothing (sports bra straps are Libre nemesis) and scrubbed a couple loose in the shower.... despite going into the shower thinking I must remember Libre is on my arm and to be careful.... Doesn't help that I alternate arms so I very easily forget which arm it is on!

I would certainly recommend this type of strap. I got mine off ebay and there were a lot of colour combinations available between discreet skin tone and loud and proud neon.
Thank you for your help.

I note that there are various patches and straps you can buy to secure the sensor and would be grateful for advice as to whether they work and what is the best type to buy.
I think they all work to some extent. I should think which one works best depends what you're trying to protect against.

In my case I find the glue almost always works well enough unless I happen to catch the thing in a doorframe or with a bag strap and that's only happened a couple of times in years. Otherwise I just notice the edges peeling up sometimes (when it's been hot, usually) and then I just use a Tegaderm to keep it stuck down (usually that only happens near the end of its life anyway).

I think they all work to some extent. I should think which one works best depends what you're trying to protect against.

In my case I find the glue almost always works well enough unless I happen to catch the thing in a doorframe or with a bag strap and that's only happened a couple of times in years. Otherwise I just notice the edges peeling up sometimes (when it's been hot, usually) and then I just use a Tegaderm to keep it stuck down (usually that only happens near the end of its life anyway).
Thank you for your advice.

In scorching hot weather the glue doesn’t really adhere well to my skin so I pretty much expect to have the odd one just slide off my arm. Abbott will always replace them.
Rest of the time I make sure the area is clean and dry (but air dry suffices for me) and I apply the sensor firmly. I also hold the applicator in place for about 30 seconds or so as that seems to give it a better footing.
I do use patches (specifically ‘Not Just A Patch’ ones but I avoid their X ones). They generally last fine and they serve as a reminder to me that the sensor is there. It also gives some protection when I inevitably catch it on a bag strap or a T-shirt sleeve, doorframe or towel.

In scorching hot weather the glue doesn’t really adhere well to my skin so I pretty much expect to have the odd one just slide off my arm. Abbott will always replace them.
Rest of the time I make sure the area is clean and dry (but air dry suffices for me) and I apply the sensor firmly. I also hold the applicator in place for about 30 seconds or so as that seems to give it a better footing.
I do use patches (specifically ‘Not Just A Patch’ ones but I avoid their X ones). They generally last fine and they serve as a reminder to me that the sensor is there. It also gives some protection when I inevitably catch it on a bag strap or a T-shirt sleeve, doorframe or towel.
Thank you for your help.

I started using libre 2 sensors a few weeks ago but haven't had the best experience with them. My first free one worked perfectly but I managed to trigger the next one before I put it on my skin and so the needle didn't go in. Then I started to get low warnings of 3 frequently but when I checked through a finger prick it was actually 5. That sensor fell off after I bathed my dog! The next two both kept losing connection and wouldn't scan without several attempts. It became such a hassle that I gave up and have returned to finger pricks. Fantastic technology if it worked properly

I started using libre 2 sensors a few weeks ago but haven't had the best experience with them. My first free one worked perfectly but I managed to trigger the next one before I put it on my skin and so the needle didn't go in. Then I started to get low warnings of 3 frequently but when I checked through a finger prick it was actually 5. That sensor fell off after I bathed my dog! The next two both kept losing connection and wouldn't scan without several attempts. It became such a hassle that I gave up and have returned to finger pricks. Fantastic technology if it worked properly
Oh no! I’ve had a few low warnings during the night and it makes me anxious because I live alone. Early days for me so will see how it goes.

Oh no! I’ve had a few low warnings during the night and it makes me anxious because I live alone. Early days for me so will see how it goes.
Do you know about Libre giving false low readings if you lie on the sensor? These are called "compression lows" because the pressure of your weight on the sensor compresses the tissue under the sensor causing the tissue to change and give a false low reading. If you get any low alarms overnight, it is recommended to double check your levels with a finger prick before taking a hypo treatment, unless you clearly feel hypo..... AND if it is a real hypo, you should always check 15 mins after your hypo treatment with a finger prick, not Libre as the Libre will usually show you have gone lower whereas the finger prick will usually show that your levels have come back up.

I was looking back through your previous posts and wondering if you are now getting Libre on NHS prescription or having to self fund? From your post history here on the forum, it looks like you may be yet another misdiagnosed slow onset Type 1. Did you manage to get them to do GAD antibody and C-peptide tests?

Do you know about Libre giving false low readings if you lie on the sensor? These are called "compression lows" because the pressure of your weight on the sensor compresses the tissue under the sensor causing the tissue to change and give a false low reading. If you get any low alarms overnight, it is recommended to double check your levels with a finger prick before taking a hypo treatment, unless you clearly feel hypo..... AND if it is a real hypo, you should always check 15 mins after your hypo treatment with a finger prick, not Libre as the Libre will usually show you have gone lower whereas the finger prick will usually show that your levels have come back up.

I was looking back through your previous posts and wondering if you are now getting Libre on NHS prescription or having to self fund? From your post history here on the forum, it looks like you may be yet another misdiagnosed slow onset Type 1. Did you manage to get them to do GAD antibody and C-peptide tests?
I didn’t know about the false readings, so thanks for warning me. They did the tests and say I’m type2. They put me on repeat prescription this week but can’t get another one until 12 Sept according to my repeat prescription on line and my current sensor runs out on 30 Aug. I’ve got another appt. on 29 August, so will ask about it then. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back