Libre 2 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abner55

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My wife and I were woken 3 times in the night by the ‘low alarm’ going off ( it is set to 5 to give us time to react as we are both in our 60’s )
Each time, however, we took a blood finger prick test, and the monitor was showing between 8.0 and 9.0!
Apart from being rather tired, we are very concerned about what to do
The graph on the libre 2 does not show the drops at all this morning
We fitted the new sensor yesterday as the previous one had signal loss which never came back
Any advice/tips would be gratefully received, is it the sensor, the phone (Huwawei Honor 9) something we are doing wrong etc. ?
My wife was diagnosed in February this year, so we have been using libre 2 for a couple of months now and it has been ok
Thanks in advance
Abner55

She’s probably lying on the sensor, that would cause a false low. The graph plots a 15 minute average not the individual readings, so won’t always show the same bg as the alarm.

I would suggest that you do a finger-prick blood glucose measurement AND read the LibreLink value at the same time, and compare. If possible, do this when the LibreLink graph is fairly horizontal (to try to avoid the delays before the interstitial fluid value catches up with changes in blood glucose).
Do this several times a day for several days.
This will show you the range of values that you and your present sensor has compared with the blood glucose values.

On average, my Libre 2 sensors give values around 2 ± 1 mmol/L lower than the finger pricks. So for me a LibreLink value of 3 is not a hypo, and I don't notice it if asleep! [Other people report different results, some even where the Libre 2 gives higher values than finger-pricks.] For that reason, and because I just cannot get it to work, I do not use the Low Alarm (or any other LibreLink alarm!).

Throughout, "you" refers to your wife!

Last edited:
As @Lucyr has mentioned, it sounds like your wife is perhaps tossing and turning in bed and lying on the sensor. This will cause what we call a "compression low" where the tissue under the sensor becomes compressed and that affects the sampling process and results in the system reporting that your levels are low when they are not. I have become pretty good at not lying on the sensor now after several years of wearing them and I think it may be similar to learning not to roll out of bed, that you subconsciously learn not to lie on the sensor arm or find a way of lying on that side which doesn't put pressure on the sensor, or place the sensor in a slightly different place on the arm, more towards the back where it is more difficult to lie on it.
Interestingly I had a vary rare compression low last night. You can tell them because the graph dips more sharply and then returns to where it had been before the dip.

You did absolutely the right thing in double checking her levels with a finger prick but once you get more confident you can sometimes spot these compression lows without it, by being aware of which side you are lying on when the alarm goes off ie becoming aware that you are lying on the sensor and looking at the graph to see if it shows a sudden dip.

Thanks all, much appreciated
We were really concerned that the sensor wasn’t working!
Hopefully a better night should be on the cards

PS. I hope you have reported the previous (signal loss) sensor to Abbott in order to get a replacement.

This is an interesting topic. I am new to Libre 2 or to that matter CGM. Before buying, I did a lot of reading and placed the sensor in the recommended position at the top and back of the arm. As I am lying, I have felt around, and the sensor remains clear. However, I have a long way to go.

There is an online form I believe or the telephone number for their customer services is on the box. If you get Libre on NHS prescription it is up to you to get replacements from Abbott for any which do not work as expected. The NHS will not generally prescribe extras nor should they have to, if the item was faulty.

There is an online form I believe or the telephone number for their customer services is on the box. If you get Libre on NHS prescription it is up to you to get replacements from Abbott for any which do not work as expected. The NHS will not generally prescribe extras nor should they have to, if the item was faulty.
Yes i phoned them they were very helpful just ask you a few questions and need the serial number etc i got a replacement the next day, they will also send you a kit to return the faulty all paid for with pre paid jiffy bag i get mine on NHS prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back