Libre 2 or dexcom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenno9

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi all
My partner is type 2 and on Insulin. We asked his GP if he could have the CGM device but apparently he doesn't fit the criteria. he's really bad at pricking his finger. I'm thinking about getting him a CGM device but I've heard such mixed opinions I really don,t know which one to go for I've read that the freestyle libre 2 is cheaper than the dexcom, which would be better for us. I just don't know what to do! Can anyone please can anyone give me some advice?
thanks
Jenny

Libre 2 is supported on lots more phones than Dexcom ONE. The sensors (and for Dexcom, transmitters) work out rather similar in cost, but it's possible it wouldn't work so easily with his phone. There are other Dexcoms (with similarly constrained support for Android phones); the G7 and G6 are more expensive than the ONE (the G6 is the most expensive). There are others (about the same cost as Libre 2): GlucoRx AiDEX and GlucoMen Day. Several of those have subscription options.

Whilst the dexcom officially runs on a limited number of phones, you can use the 'build your own dexcom app'. I used this myself and it was v easy.
Given the problems people are having with libre at the mo, it may be best to start with dexcom

Whilst the dexcom officially runs on a limited number of phones, you can use the 'build your own dexcom app'. I used this myself and it was v easy.
Given the problems people are having with libre at the mo, it may be best to start with dexcom
As has been said before, many of us have no pr with Libre. It is human nature to only say something when things are wrong. If things carry on fine, we say nothing.
This is why it is a good idea to use the free Libre to find out if the OP experiences any issues rather than relying on other people’s experience.

I’m happy with the Libre! 🙂 I tried the Dexcom One recently but prefer the Libre’s graphs, etc. for tweaking my insulin doses. It really is personal choice - I found that the Libre 2 and the Dexcom One give very similar BG readings.

Differences?

The Dex sensor lasts 10 days AND requires a transmitter which has to be attached to the sensor (the transmitter lasts 3 months). The transmitter means that you don’t have to pass the reader / your phone over the sensor - the readings appear on your device automatically.

The Libre sensor lasts 14 days and doesn’t require the extra step of attaching a transmitter. This means you have to pass your phone / the reader over the sensor to get a BG reading.

There IS one drawback with the Libre 2 that I have to mention - a lot of people are currently having problems with the alarms. Abbott keep upgrading the app and as a result the alarms have stopped working on some people’s phones.

Also, your phone might not be compatible with the Libre 2 or Dexcom One app - make sure you check this before buying!

Last edited:
If he’s never used a sensor before I’d use the libre first. I’ve used both and do prefer dexcom but for self funding would reccomend (and I currently use) libre because paying for one sensor at a time makes it more flexible than dexcom one where you have to pay for 3 months at once. Get the free libre trial and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your advice, we did see our gp and he definitely doesn't fit the criteria for getting it through the NHS, I,ll probably go for the LIbre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back