Libre 2: I’ve got a bleeder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Fitted a new sensor this morning. It hurt like heck and was a struggle to pull the applicator away. Thought nothing of it, zapped to start new sensor and went to make lunch. That’s when Mr Eggy exclaimed I was bleeding, blood coming out of the middle of the sensor, down my arm and dripping on the floor and all over my WHITE tee shirt. It didn’t last long. I duly waited the 60 minutes before scanning, phew, it gave me a reading. Tried again and it seems fine. Any thoughts or experience? First time I’ve had any trouble at all since being prescribed it last September. Will it last or is it fated to expire early?

From what I have read, bleeders are fine. Some people find them even more accurate than non bleeders.
But unless it is still painful (or still bleeding), I would leave it where it is... and love it.

Fitted a new sensor this morning. It hurt like heck and was a struggle to pull the applicator away. Thought nothing of it, zapped to start new sensor and went to make lunch. That’s when Mr Eggy exclaimed I was bleeding, blood coming out of the middle of the sensor, down my arm and dripping on the floor and all over my WHITE tee shirt. It didn’t last long. I duly waited the 60 minutes before scanning, phew, it gave me a reading. Tried again and it seems fine. Any thoughts or experience? First time I’ve had any trouble at all since being prescribed it last September. Will it last or is it fated to expire early?
They’re programmed only to do that if you’re wearing a white teeshirt. I had one once that bled a bit, but not quite so dramatically, and it was fine. When I took it off 2weeks later, there was a load of dried blood under it in the centre, though, so had a bit of cleaning up of my arm to do, but it didn’t affect the adhesion at all.

I always blot the sensor after application because I almost always get a little spot of blood but sometimes a slight trickle. Not had one drip on the floor but maybe that is because I always blot them straight away.
I also almost always have problems lifting the applicator off and usually have to wriggle it to get it free. I find it strange that many people don't have any problems with the applicator snagging when mine do it pretty much every time.

From what I have read, bleeders are fine. Some people find them even more accurate than non bleeders.
But unless it is still painful (or still bleeding), I would leave it where it is... and love it.
It’s not hurting at all, just on the initial application. Fingers crossed all is well.

They’re programmed only to do that if you’re wearing a white teeshirt. I had one once that bled a bit, but not quite so dramatically, and it was fine. When I took it off 2weeks later, there was a load of dried blood under it in the centre, though, so had a bit of cleaning up of my arm to do, but it didn’t affect the adhesion at all.
I blooming hate this tee shirt anyways, so good excuse for putting it in the bin now!

I always blot the sensor after application because I almost always get a little spot of blood but sometimes a slight trickle. Not had one drip on the floor but maybe that is because I always blot them straight away.
I also almost always have problems lifting the applicator off and usually have to wriggle it to get it free. I find it strange that many people don't have any problems with the applicator snagging when mine do it pretty much every time.
Do you know, I’m ashamed to say I’ve never fitted one myself, I self funded the original Libre 5/6 years ago and had it for about 2/3 years. Mr Eggy always fits it as my shoulders and arms are so gammy I can’t actually reach round to do it and I can’t lift my arms too high either. On my educational course I had back in September I had to ask the nurse to do it for me. This is only one of a handful of times it’s really hurt in all those years.

Why should you be ashamed if you can't reach? There is no shame in that and it means you can blame Mr Eggy for causing the bleed..... and get him told that he needs to blot it for you after he applies it in future. Typical man only doing the job half properly!!

I put my hand on the opposite shoulder, reach underneath it with the hand holding the applicator, look in the mirror for an appropriate spot and apply it. Then I hold for 60 seconds to ensure the adhesive has got a good hold before I wriggle it free.... and blot!

Well Pete does mine for the same reason Elaine's does - and he always needs to 'wiggle'. And I've only had one bleeder and yes, mine poured too, and it worked fine for a fortnight and yep, right clot of dried blood when removed. No bruise or anything though - weird!

Well Pete does mine for the same reason Elaine's does - and he always needs to 'wiggle'.
I have a mental image of Pete wiggling his bottom as he removes the applicator Jenny. Not met him of course but I have a feeling he is a big, hefty, manly guy, so my mental image is giving me a giggle! If he doesn't wiggle his bottom when he removes the applicator, tell him he has to from now on..... and that goes for Mr Eggy too, Elaine. You girls might as well have a laugh whilst they are punching holes in your arms and making you bleed.

It’s not hurting at all, just on the initial application. Fingers crossed all is well.

As helli says it will be fine, had couple with libre 1 & they worked fine.

Worst bleed was when removing cannula few years back, man it bleed but just one off had no others in 10 years pumping.

Oh I wish I’d seen this earlier, I had my first bleeder yesterday and got in such a panic I immediately took it off and emailed my DSN……there was blood everywhere! Don’t know whether to call Abbott about it or not. Luckily I hadn’t removed the previous sensor (still has 3 days to go, was getting switched out because despite my phone being less than 1m from the sensor 99% of the time I kept getting signal loss alarms every half hour so Abbott agreed to replace) so I’m still covered as the bleeder was my last one! Still fairly new to this walking talking pancreas life so if it happens again in future I’ll hopefully not have another minor freak out! X

You should report the incident to Abbott to see if they will replace it because otherwise that is a sensor that the NHS have paid for that you haven't used. It will be Abbott's discretion whether they replace it but I expect they will. If it happens again, just apply pressure to the sensor until the bleeding stops. Bleeders are often more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back