Libre 2 coming off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren-rose

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn’t sure where to post.

I apply a sensor the way I’m supposed, to a clean arm etc. But they’re only lasting about 4 or 5 days before the sticky bit is coming loose. I’m even avoiding getting it wet because I can only imagine that would make it worse. I’m starting to avoid sleeping on the side with it on. The one I have on just now should have 11 days left, but it’s coming away.. good job I don’t want to go swimming or anything like that!

Does this happen tor anyone else?

Also I just tested on my metre which read 8.9 but the freestyle libre 2 says 13.5. That’s quite a difference if my levels were lower!

Last edited:
Sure, some people find the glue doesn't seem to work well on their skin.

Presuming you're not getting any kind of allergic reaction it's just a mechanical problem: how do you keep the thing in place for 14 days. There are a couple of obvious answers: stick something over the sensor, or wrap a band around your arm keeping the sensor in place. Libre has been popular enough that there are a variety of options for both on sale (and they're pretty cheap). The bands are reusable and tend to have a sort of plastic ring to hold the sensor in place.
Also I just tested on my metre which read 8.9 but the freestyle libre 2 says 13.5. That’s quite a difference if my levels were lower!
That seems a bit far out, so is perhaps worth reporting to Abbott. They'll want 3 pairs of readings taken at different times to show the sensor is misbehaving, so you may want to collect those in advance.

Another thing I found with Libre is I needed to make sure the sensor is placed on a flat part of my arm and not on a “corner of a muscle”.
it seems obvious writing this now but the sensor does not bend. So, if I places it on a curved part of my arm, the sensor would start to peel off.

Sorry to hear you are finding some of your sensors are coming loose @Lauren-rose

This does seem to affect some people more than others. Way back when CGM were a newer gizmo people used to suggest something called 'skintak' which was a preparatory spray (if I remember right) that helped adhesion.

Do you ever use moisturisers or creams on that part of your arm?

Libre used to be supplied with alcohol wipes to prep the area before adhesion, but those are no longer supplied. Did you ever use Libre when those were in circulation? And was the adhesion any better then?

I use an elastic arm strap which has a 3D printed plastic watch face which fits over the Libre to keep it safe and secure. The number of time the elastic strap pings when I get dressed and undressed, particularly as a woman who wears sports bras (Libre's nemesis) it makes you realize how often the sensor gets knocked and pulled. Now the strap takes the ping and the sensor remains safe and I haven't lost one early since buying the strap over a year ago. It was a good investment. That said, it now means they are quite painful to prise off after the 14 days are up, because they have such a strong hold.

As regards sleeping on it, if you can train yourself not to, that can be a benefit as Libre are prone to what is commonly referred to as "Compression Lows" where they will falsely indicate that you are hypo if you lie on them for any length of time. Once you take the pressure off they will rebound back to where they should be after 10-15 mins and will sometimes rebound higher and then settle back down. It is all to do with how they work and why it is important to double check any reported hypos before you treat them (unless you feel obviously hypo) because otherwise your levels will likely go too high.

That discrepancy you got between Libre and finger prick is quite large. What were your levels doing at the time? ie. If it was after a meal (or hypo treatment) and your levels had been rising sharply, Libre will often over exaggerate because it uses previous readings in the time period before to extrapolate to get the current reading it gives you. If your levels were rising fast but then slowed and and started coming back down, it takes about 15 mins for the Libre to register that change of direction so it is still predicting your levels are rising sharply until the next lot of data shows that your levels are falling again and it will then usually correct the graph but you may see a dot suspended in mid air on your LibreLink graph, which the graph line doesn't go through. Similarly after treating hypos, at the 15 mins post hypo treatment, the Libre will usually say that your levels are still dropping, but a finger prick will usually show that they are coming back up. It is why you are recommended to double check Libre lows and always do the 15 min retest with a finger prick. It is all to do with the algorithm that Libre uses to try to make up for the 15 min time lag between blood and interstitial fluid which is Libre reads.

I have been using libre for over three years now and luckily have never had one come off, they seem to adhere very well and when Abbot stopped supplying the alcohol wipes I bought my own pre injection alcohol wipes, I feel it’s important to make sure the area is cleaned and dry before application. I also avoid sleeping on the arm where sensor is applied.

Find by cleaning skin beforehand with alcohol wipes or surgical spirit not only cleanses skin but also removes oils so sensors sticks firm, Abbott did once supply alcohol wipes in packaging but greed got better of them, get mine from Amazon & are cheap at £2 for 100 wipes

Find by cleaning skin beforehand with alcohol wipes or surgical spirit not only cleanses skin but also removes oils so sensors sticks firm, Abbott did once supply alcohol wipes in packaging but greed got better of them, get mine from Amazon & are cheap at £2 for 100 wipes
I am so glad you mentioned surgical spirit. I have a bottle in my diabetes drawer which, even when you factor in the tissue to apply it, is cheaper and more environmentally friendly than individually wrapped alcohol wipes whether provided by Abbott or purchased ourselves.
I wonder if the wipes are plastic based and be affected by the latest guidance to ban them next year? Shame the ban won't include the individual plastic packaging. I am sure no one would throw them down the toilet (I say "I am sure" but sadly I may be being optimistic) but regardless the plastic wrappers (and maybe wipes) still take a long time to breakdown.

Sorry I will climb down from my (eco-friendly) soap box. I appreciate they are convenient.

I am so glad you mentioned surgical spirit. I have a bottle in my diabetes drawer which, even when you factor in the tissue to apply it, is cheaper and more environmentally friendly than individually wrapped alcohol wipes whether provided by Abbott or purchased ourselves.
I wonder if the wipes are plastic based and be affected by the latest guidance to ban them next year? Shame the ban won't include the individual plastic packaging. I am sure no one would throw them down the toilet (I say "I am sure" but sadly I may be being optimistic) but regardless the plastic wrappers (and maybe wipes) still take a long time to breakdown.

Sorry I will climb down from my (eco-friendly) soap box. I appreciate they are convenient.

We've been here before me thinks helli.

Always have both in house, buy surgical spirit from local branch of superdrug.

Not sure if alcohol wipes are included in latest guidelines, think not as gp surgery's hospitals use them fair bit, thing is with those handy wipes is they are so convenient, especially away from home before cannula change or replacing libre sensor, always keep dozen in bg case for those reasons.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn’t sure where to post.

I apply a sensor the way I’m supposed, to a clean arm etc. But they’re only lasting about 4 or 5 days before the sticky bit is coming loose. I’m even avoiding getting it wet because I can only imagine that would make it worse. I’m starting to avoid sleeping on the side with it on. The one I have on just now should have 11 days left, but it’s coming away.. good job I don’t want to go swimming or anything like that!

Hi

In this libre guide there are a few tips.

I've used tagaderm a few times which really keeps it in place,

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back