Libre 2 Application

Paul Goldie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am after advice please from Libre 2 or similar users. I am due to get a Libre 2 and when reading the information on preparing your skin for the sensor it says the following - "To improve adhesion, clean the skin with soap and water and allow the skin to dry (do not blow on it). Then clean the skin with alcohol wipes and allow the skin to air dry".
I have searched my local chemists and supermarkets for alcohol wipes and can't find any so was wondering where the wearers of Libre 2's get alcohol wipes from or do you not use them?

Many thanks.

I do not use alcohol wipes. They used to come in the box with the Libre but Abbott stopped including them and I was happy to reduce waste.
I make sure the area is clean and dry with no moisturiser on it (be wary of moisturising shower gel). I also ensure I place the sensor on a flat part of my arm. It is obvious when you think about it but sensors are not flexible so if you place it on a part of the arm that bends or if it is on the “corner” of a muscle it is more likely to peel off.

Some people have more oily skin so may need that extra wipe with alcohol to remove the oil.

I have wondered whether surgical spirit on a flannel will work as well as alcohol wipes. Feels more environmentally friendly than single use wipes in individual packages.

I believe you can get large boxes of alcohol wipes from Amazon.
But, as I say, I have never needed them and prefer to avoid unnecessary waste - the Libre applicator is more waste than I would like.

Last edited:
Hi I had the same problem and bought a pack of 100 on ebay for very little cost. Why the high street doesn't stock them is beyond me.

I bought some in our local pharmacy, a small village independent. They were called 'skin cleaning swabs' rather than alcohol wipes, although that’s what they are, though, so I wonder if it depends what you ask for, as to whether an assistant recognises what you want.

thanks all

I queried the missing alcohol wipes with my local surgery. If I remember correctly they declined to provide and suggested that it would be fine without them, and washing would be sufficient.

You probably some left over alcohol gel in the house so a wipe with some gel would also do. Make sure you let the alcohol to dry for 1 minute which is what kills any bacteria.

Have Amazon account & get box of 100 pre injection swabs for £3, always wipe skin with one before applying sensor & have only had one come unstuck in 5 years of using device.

You probably some left over alcohol gel in the house so a wipe with some gel would also do. Make sure you let the alcohol to dry for 1 minute which is what kills any bacteria.
The majority of hand sanitisers have a moisturiser added so this isn't really the best idea

My second sensor has suddenly stopped working after 3 days. I replaced it with a new one. It started bleeding from the centre and would not scan. I took it off immediately and going to finger prick until unsure. Has anyone else experienced such a thing?
Thanking you in advance.

@Purls of Wisdom I've had bleeders but they have always been usable so I think your just unlucky with that one not scanning xx

With 2 failed attempts under my belt, I was back on finger pricking. Got new one placed on this evening, so far so good. Injected enough Novorapid to cover dinner. 9:30ish, the high BG levels alarm started going off. After the second alert, I decided to pin prick to double check. And it was 22.2. Ketones remained same at 0.2. In the absence of knowing what to do, I called 111 cos I was in Hospital when they were this high. After 45mins, I am told to inject Lantus and check after an hour. If feeling unwell or BG is on the rise, give them a call.
Going to bed now and hoping for the best. BTW, my first day back at work went well.
Good night! Sleep tight!!

With 2 failed attempts under my belt, I was back on finger pricking. Got new one placed on this evening, so far so good.
Great. Sometimes newly placed sensors take a couple of days to 'settle' in.
Injected enough Novorapid to cover dinner.
Because you are on a fixed dose of insulin for dinner it would be quite easy for you to take on far more carbs than your insulin covers. Was your dinner a bit or lot different to other evenings?
9:30ish, the high BG levels alarm started going off.
How long after dinner was this?
After the second alert, I decided to pin prick to double check. And it was 22.2.
If my finger prick gives such a high reading my immediate response is to go and wash my hands again, with an emphasis for a second wash on rinsing. Modern soaps contain all sorts of things that leave clean hands with unwanted impurities.
Ketones remained same at 0.2. In the absence of knowing what to do, I called 111 cos I was in Hospital when they were this high.
Good to call. At this stage you could be getting stressed and exacerbating an elevated BG. Reassurance from such sources can only help.
After 45mins, I am told to inject Lantus and check after an hour. If feeling unwell or BG is on the rise, give them a call.
How much Lantus? Did they offer any explanation for how much (probably not)?
Did your Libre, or finger pricking, show a response of reducing BG.
Worth noting the numbers; you now have one example of how many units Lantus gives how much correction. This will not be your definitive correction ratio! I find my correction ratio needs strengthening when I'm very high, because one's natural inbuilt resistance to insulin increases when higher; but its a start and a ratio to use if you have a recurrence of being very high.
Reasons for elevated BG can be very varied. But once a finger prick confirms actual BG is elevated only extra insulin or gentle activity/exercise can help. The cause is now irrelevant, treatment is needed. At real 22 activity/exercise is simply insufficient and at 22 you're likely to be stressed from knowing you're that high, as well as probably feeling below par from being that high. So a potential worsening spiral.
Going to bed now and hoping for the best. BTW, my first day back at work went well.
Great.
Good night! Sleep tight!!
After the event, if you can work out what caused this - terrific, then you might be able to avoid a recurrence. If you can't identify why - park this and move on to today.

There are so many factors which affect BG and even knowing about those factors doesn't necessarily stop things happening; time brings experiences, repetitions help pinpoint causes; but even the most seasoned people with DM will confirm that unexpected BG changes can occur. Experience provides the confidence to manage it and often helps forewarn you so that a pre-emptive response can be taken. The CGM from Libre is a huge help with trend indicators and alarms.
Meanwhile enjoy today; yesterday has gone.

@Purls of Wisdom An important question - how many carbs were in your evening meal? If your blood sugar before your meal was normal, you ate too many carbs for your fixed insulin dose.

As you had ketones the other day too, you need to look at your insulin amounts. If you’re not confident in adjusting those, then reduce your carbs gradually.

@Proud to be erratic You shouldn’t use Lantus as a correction. That’s what the Novorapid is for. I suspect the Lantus was mentioned simply because it was due. 111 wouldn’t suggest correcting to someone with no knowledge, nor without knowing their individual details.

Last edited:
Great. Sometimes newly placed sensors take a couple of days to 'settle' in.

Because you are on a fixed dose of insulin for dinner it would be quite easy for you to take on far more carbs than your insulin covers. Was your dinner a bit or lot different to other evenings?

How long after dinner was this?

If my finger prick gives such a high reading my immediate response is to go and wash my hands again, with an emphasis for a second wash on rinsing. Modern soaps contain all sorts of things that leave clean hands with unwanted impurities.

Good to call. At this stage you could be getting stressed and exacerbating an elevated BG. Reassurance from such sources can only help.

How much Lantus? Did they offer any explanation for how much (probably not)?
Did your Libre, or finger pricking, show a response of reducing BG.
Worth noting the numbers; you now have one example of how many units Lantus gives how much correction. This will not be your definitive correction ratio! I find my correction ratio needs strengthening when I'm very high, because one's natural inbuilt resistance to insulin increases when higher; but its a start and a ratio to use if you have a recurrence of being very high.
Reasons for elevated BG can be very varied. But once a finger prick confirms actual BG is elevated only extra insulin or gentle activity/exercise can help. The cause is now irrelevant, treatment is needed. At real 22 activity/exercise is simply insufficient and at 22 you're likely to be stressed from knowing you're that high, as well as probably feeling below par from being that high. So a potential worsening spiral.

Great.

After the event, if you can work out what caused this - terrific, then you might be able to avoid a recurrence. If you can't identify why - park this and move on to today.

There are so many factors which affect BG and even knowing about those factors doesn't necessarily stop things happening; time brings experiences, repetitions help pinpoint causes; but even the most seasoned people with DM will confirm that unexpected BG changes can occur. Experience provides the confidence to manage it and often helps forewarn you so that a pre-emptive response can be taken. The CGM from Libre is a huge help with trend indicators and alarms.
Meanwhile enjoy today; yesterday has gone.
As a matter of fact, I had consumed less carbs yesterday at breakfast and lunch. With fluctuating numbers I had already doubted, decided to reduce and managed successfully. My dinner was nothing out of the ordinary. It was similar to what I usually eat.
Recently my readings have been more orange or red than green. It is not what or how much I eat, it simply spikes after every meal, roughly after an hour or so of eating.

The nhs24 did not suggest any amount. Their advice was to inject and keep an eye. I was so overwhelmed that I could not sleep till 4:00am. At 9:30pm, libre2 was 16.4 and finger prick read 22.2.
Expecting a phone call from DSN.
Hope my day improves ...

@Purls of Wisdom An important question - how many carbs were in your evening meal? If your blood sugar before your meal was normal, you ate too many carbs for your fixed insulin dose.

As you had ketones the other day too, you need to look at your insulin amounts. If you’re not confident in reducing those, then reduce your carbs gradually.

@Proud to be erratic You shouldn’t use Lantus as a correction. That’s what the Novorapid is for. I suspect the Lantus was mentioned simply because it was due. 111 wouldn’t suggest correcting to someone with no knowledge, nor without knowing their individual details.
Pre dinner L2 reading was 7.1 only. It spiked from there to 11.7 at 9:00 to 17.9 at midnight with GM 22.2 thrown in the mix.

Back