Libre 2 and HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On the Freestyle libre app there's an option for the average HbA1c but it says there is not enough information. I'm assuming when the sensor runs out that there will be enough information to give an idea of one's HbA1c.

I didn't think I would be able to scan with the sensor cover but I have, phew. They're not the easiest to apply. When I get another one I will get some that you just peel the backing off and stick over the sensor .

Regarding cost of the sensors where do others get theirs from if not on prescription? Just wish they weren't so expensive especially as they only last 14 days. I might only be able to afford to scan for two weeks every month at the current price

I didn't think I would be able to scan with the sensor cover but I have, phew.
You can scan through clothing, so a thin cover's not going to be a problem.
Regarding cost of the sensors where do others get theirs from if not on prescription?
Directly from Abbott, https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

A while ago some pharmacists were selling cheaper (Superdrug Pharmacy in particular) but I think they've all stopped that now, so it's £50 if you can't get it prescribed.

Using a sensor when you can afford one is a perfectly reasonable strategy since a couple of weeks of readings gives an idea of patterns (presuming you're on insulin that's very helpful; I'm less sure about other T2 medications). (It's what was recommended to me before they were available on prescription.)

A true HbA1C is an indication of the average blood sugar over 3 month so you won’t get much indication after less than 14 days,
Libre estimates an HbA1C but many of us find this very different to the number you get through a blood test (mine was nearly 20% higher than the Libre estimate). It is a useful thing to track to see improvements but not great to compare with blood tests.

Hi @HalfpipMarathon , when I did a trial the HbA1c estimate became available after 4 or 5 days. As @helli says, it can only be a rough estimate so no substitute for the real thing, but maybe an indicator of trend.
I found the user education "course" on the Abbott/Libre website helpful in understanding what to expect from the data.
Regards Nick

On the Freestyle libre app there's an option for the average HbA1c but it says there is not enough information. I'm assuming when the sensor runs out that there will be enough information to give an idea of one's HbA1c.

I didn't think I would be able to scan with the sensor cover but I have, phew. They're not the easiest to apply. When I get another one I will get some that you just peel the backing off and stick over the sensor .

Regarding cost of the sensors where do others get theirs from if not on prescription? Just wish they weren't so expensive especially as they only last 14 days. I might only be able to afford to scan for two weeks every month at the current price
Having a cover over your sensor is no problem. I found it great to be able to check through many layers of clothing when out walking in cold weather.

The estimated HbA1c will be based on the interstitial readings rather than BG but it will give you an idea of how you are getting on. The info is also great for identifying certain foods that might spike your levels (I was amazed at what porridge did to my levels), and also to work out how many carbs your body can manage. Using the sensor intermittently can help when you want to make changes to your diet.

If you are on insulin you may now be able to get the sensors funded.

let us know how you get on.

Hi SB2015

I'm not on insulin so unlikely to get them on prescription.

Yes I like the time in range as that is a good indicator of how often I am not going high. My lowest reading since starting the sensor has been 5.2 and my highest 12.4 but I am still in range not 100% but quite close so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back