Libre 2 alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiffcam13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi. Wondering if anyone can help. Diagnosis was changed to LADA recently. Consultant thinks not enough info on BG patterns to start insulin so have been given a Libre2 for 2 weeks. All set up fine and linked to hospital. Last 3 nights alarms have gone off at three different times every night with low BG, lowest 3.3. When do finger prick tests they are normal. Any advice ? Should I eat something or ignore if finger prick test ok. Early days with the libre and really appreciate having it but missing my sleep ! Any advice appreciated.

Sounds like compression lows. When pressured is applied to a sensor (for example, when you lie on it), it can falsely record a low reading.
If sensor and finger prick disagree, finger pricks should take precedence..

Thanks so much for replying. That makes sense and tbh maybe I haven’t attached the sensor in the best place on my arm… every day is a school day .

It's known that the Libre 2 is not very accurate for High or Low values so trust the finger-prick test but the Libre can show spot Low or Highs that a random finger-prick test would miss - this to me is it's greatest value together with alarms.

Thanks for your reply DaveB . Be interesting to see the readings after the two weeks. No alarms last night so that’s a positive !

Well they can all be a bit 'iffy' to begin with - because I have mine on repeat prescription so no panic when one says it's only got 1 day before it expires, I insert the next one in t'other arm, but don't start it until the first one pops its clogs. Then, because it's had 24hrs to just get used to me, my body chemistry, whatever and nowt else, they do tend to be more reliable from the off. And both arms get a fortnight off every two weeks! (V. generous employer, me ...)

It's very interesting - and informative which is the main purpose - to actually see what your body's been doing that you just wouldn't know about otherwise.

Admittedly going "off-piste" here:

In my opinion, one of my strong criticisms of Libre 2 and definitely part of its limitations is the restrictive upper level of the low glucose alarm, at 5.6 mmol/L. I would like an alert at a higher threshold that my BG is falling, such as 6.5, to give me time to monitor and take "modest" corrective action if needed. This would be not only for preventing hypos or low glucose events, but when I'm waiting for my bolus correction to work before I can start eating; my response to natural insulin resistance is a big issue for me. [Yes, if I have nothing better to do I can frequently scan to check, but .....]

@shiffcam13, if the concept of insulin resistance is new to you do a search in this forum or just ask. It's taken me the best part of 2 years to know more about this and that knowledge has been really helpful in my D management. I truly wish it had caught my attention much earlier since my diagnosis.

Then I'd like a 2nd Urgent alarm at a more critical level; it's an unnecessary nuisance having to play around with my settings on the one available alarm and to remember to reinstate afterwards.

I've reduced the incidence of compression lows by having my Libre on the outside of my left arm, rather than the back of arm and since I most infrequently sleep on that side that issue is more or less resolved.

Also, I frequently place my sensor on my chest rather than my arm. I think that also happens to improve my Libre reliability statistics. I'm perfectly happy to revert to finger pricking before driving; because of the Libre scan capability I know the finger prick is a formality and have never had to delay my journey because of a low reading.

Lots of useful info thanks @proudtobeerratic . Will check it out especially researching insulin resistance. There’s a lot to learn and so many different components to managing BG levels. Haven’t started on insulin yet bur that will be a learning curve too. Grateful for all the advice on this forum .

Lots of useful info thanks @proudtobeerratic . Will check it out especially researching insulin resistance. There’s a lot to learn and so many different components to managing BG levels. Haven’t started on insulin yet bur that will be a learning curve too. Grateful for all the advice on this forum .
You are welcome. A search under my own recent messages will reveal 2 postings about insulin resisance. I make no claim to be an expert on this BG factor. Insulin resistance is in many ways the diametrical opposite to insulin sensitivity, so also try searching under that topic.

Sounds like compression lows. When pressured is applied to a sensor (for example, when you lie on it), it can falsely record a low reading.
If sensor and finger prick disagree, finger pricks should take precedence..

Would say exactly same, best to double check on bg meter if unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back