Libre 2 Alarm question

MummaD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, New user of Libre 2 sensor.
Does anyone know when the alarm sounds outside the set boundary, will it sound a 2nd alarm if your blood sugar stays beyond that boundary for a length of time?
Or is the alarm only triggered again if your blood sugar moves back inside the boundary then out again?
For example, my alarm sounded at 12.1 (my upper boundary) and I gave a correction bolus. Unfortunately the correction wasn’t enough and when I checked, my bsl was 16.0.
I would have expected another alarm..the timeframe was 1.5 hrs from the original 12.1 alarm.
Feeling a bit disappointed (and yuk!) but will move forward with an understanding of the alarm limitations.
Thanks for comments

I know for lows mine keeps going off until my sugar rises. Maybe you could safely test yours by lowering the upper limit temporarily say to 6 and see what happens.

I know for lows mine keeps going off until my sugar rises. Maybe you could safely test yours by lowering the upper limit temporarily say to 6 and see what happens.
Hi, yes, actually I noticed that too! It happened today..and I think that’s why I was ‘caught out’ I presumed it would alarm again. ‍♀️
Safety test is a good idea. Thank u xx

No it wouldn’t keep alarming if your bg stayed above the upper limit. It would alarm if you dipped below it and then went up again though

Ok, thank you. That’s what it seems.
Any idea why it will alarm numerous times for an out of boundary low? I suppose lows are more critical than highs.

Yes I’m sure that’s what it must be, least we know now I suppose.

Can you not set a time for when the alarm goes off again?
I asked because if I go into settings with my Dexcom I can set the alarm to repeat after 15mins or longer for a low and for highs above 10 I can set it to alarm again to say 2 hours if I so want or even turn it off if I so wish.

Can you not set a time for when the alarm goes off again?
I asked because if I go into settings with my Dexcom I can set the alarm to repeat after 15mins or longer for a low and for highs above 10 I can set it to alarm again to say 2 hours if I so want or even turn it off if I so wish.
You don’t get those options on libre. You don’t get alarms for rising or falling quickly either, and can’t set the alarm value by time of day, it’s just a set number to alarm at.

I wish mine did that… but mine only seems to ‘reset’ for lows as well as highs by going above the low limit.

Mind… I have my low limit set high to give me a decent amount of preventative jelly baby time (4.8ish). But I have been caught by ’treating’ in the low 4s, but not quite getting back over 4.8 then dipping back down below 4.0 with no alert - which was quite annoyng as I’d been in the high 3s for a while but BG was only moving gently so I didn’t really feel it. :(

Maybe mine keep going off because im popping in and out of low (set at 3.9) don’t pay too much attention to is as im currently not on insulin and the lows are always when I’ve applied a new sensor.

My low alarms are the same as high, they don’t repeat until I’ve gone above the low alarm. My bg meter alarms 10 minutes after a fingerprick low bg though to remind me to retest.

Back