Libra3 nhs availability and iPhone compatibility??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andywidd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good morning,
I have a libra 2 but just wondering if the smaller cgm libra 3 is available on NHS and if so does it work with an iPhone? I have had 125 below 4 readings in last 90 days so wondering if this may help me get a libra 3?
Thank you,
Andy

Libre 3 is not available on prescription like the Libre 1 and 2.
You need to talk to your diabetes team although supplies seem to be limited.

Given Libre 2 provides alarms when going low, in what way do you think the Libre 3 would reduce your hypos? The main difference, apart from size, is that it sends the readings direct to your phone but you still need to look at the readings
Maybe you want to raising your lower limit at which your Libre will alarm so you can see off a low before it occurs.

If you want the CGM capability, this is possible with an iPhone if you are technically minded. I have always used Android but I understand xDrip4iOS is available the convert Libre 2 to CGM on the iPhone.

Firstly Libre 3 is now available - in theory. See here https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/cgm-availablity.101836/

Secondly, the app may not appear on the App Store yet as it is region restricted. There are hacks to get it from other countries but it will come here soon surely.

My consultant was quite scathing in her criticism of the app. She said there was no 'logging' function as with Libre 2 app for carbs, insulin, exercise, etc. I can't confirm this as I haven't seen it, but the screenshots on Google Play don't show any. Weird eh?

HTH

Libre 3 is not available on prescription like the Libre 1 and 2.
You need to talk to your diabetes team although supplies seem to be limited.

Given Libre 2 provides alarms when going low, in what way do you think the Libre 3 would reduce your hypos? The main difference, apart from size, is that it sends the readings direct to your phone but you still need to look at the readings
Maybe you want to raising your lower limit at which your Libre will alarm so you can see off a low before it occurs.

If you want the CGM capability, this is possible with an iPhone if you are technically minded. I have always used Android but I understand xDrip4iOS is available the convert Libre 2 to CGM on the iPhone.
Thanks Helli. Main reason for wanting 3 is to save me scanning!

Firstly Libre 3 is now available - in theory. See here https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/cgm-availablity.101836/

Secondly, the app may not appear on the App Store yet as it is region restricted. There are hacks to get it from other countries but it will come here soon surely.

My consultant was quite scathing in her criticism of the app. She said there was no 'logging' function as with Libre 2 app for carbs, insulin, exercise, etc. I can't confirm this as I haven't seen it, but the screenshots on Google Play don't show any. Weird eh?

HTH
Thanks Barry- wasn’t aware of the limitations in reporting.

Are you saying the reason you have so many lows is that you don’t like scanning? Switching to one that doesn’t need scanning isn’t going to reduce the lows, if you’d rather go low than scan then sensors probably aren’t that cost effective for you.

If you want to get a minute by minute stream of readings, take a look at Shuggah (sp?) which does this from a L2 by hijacking the alarms. I use an equivalent on Android (Juggluco) and it's fascinating. The graph is incredibly erratic, as BG does seem to fluctuate a lot and quickly, so you have to be careful not to over react.

Check them out. Docs for Juggluco pretty sketchy (developer is Dutch, much better than my translation would be though!) dunno about Shuggah.

Dexcom One maybe worth looking at. I understand, unlike Libre 3, it should be available on prescription like Libre 1 and 2.

Not liking scanning is unlikely to be a good enough argument to get into the "other funding pot".

But I definitely recommend changing your low level alert if you are going low too often. If the alarms work as they should, you don't need to scan to find out you have passed that threshold.

Are you saying the reason you have so many lows is that you don’t like scanning? Switching to one that doesn’t need scanning isn’t going to reduce the lows, if you’d rather go low than scan then sensors probably aren’t that cost effective for you.
I scan a lot-30-40x day. It would be easier to just look at phone than keep scanning if i had a cgm instead of a flash. I reckon my pre type 1 level was probably high 3’s /low 4’s as I feel best at these levels. As soon as I get above 5.3 ish I don’t feel great. Therefore having a cgm, I think, would help me make a quicker intervention should I start heading to low 3’s.

If you want to get a minute by minute stream of readings, take a look at Shuggah (sp?) which does this from a L2 by hijacking the alarms. I use an equivalent on Android (Juggluco) and it's fascinating. The graph is incredibly erratic, as BG does seem to fluctuate a lot and quickly, so you have to be careful not to over react.

Check them out. Docs for Juggluco pretty sketchy (developer is Dutch, much better than my translation would be though!) dunno about Shuggah.
Thanks- I’ll have a look today.

having a cgm, I think, would help me make a quicker intervention should I start heading to low 3’s
I don't understand how the CGM would help. If you have Libre 2, you can set an alarm to go off when your level falls below 4 (or higher of you want) and see off the low.

It would be nice to look at phone and see BG reading instead of having to lift arm up and scan-especially when out with other people. Also I do a load of sport and sometimes trying to turn phone on, scan and read when sweaty or moving a lot can be difficult as easy to drop phone and often won’t pick up a reading when I’m running/rowing. However I’ve just downloaded the Shuggah app which is making the libra 2 into a cgm and it looks promising- constant updates, trend lines without actively scanning -looking promising. I’m off to do some mountain trail running next week so I’ll give it a proper try then-can’t wait- hopefully if it works just looking at phone instead of switching on scanning and rescanning because not picking up when moving will be a thing of the past……I’ll report back. Done a finger prick reading and closer than the libra app but very early days…….. Hope this makes sense

Hey BarryM,
Thanks for the Shuggah recommendation- early days but looks amazing. I think you’ve solved my problems! Going to try it out with a run and see how it responds!
Cheers again!

Hey BarryM,
Thanks for the Shuggah recommendation- early days but looks amazing. I think you’ve solved my problems! Going to try it out with a run and see how it responds!
Cheers again!

And if getting your phone out just to look there's always a watch too!

I'm off for a lie down now after reading your activities😉.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back