Libra discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinkV

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone

I am new to the diabetes journey. My story is a long one…. However my question is - does anyone have incorrect readings on libra compared to finger prick. My libra says I’m currently 13.9 but my finger says 10.9!!

I’ve just put a new sensor on and it’s in the correct place.

Feeling quite deflated with it all .

However my question is - does anyone have incorrect readings on libra compared to finger prick.
Sure, that's common enough. (I think most of us have had at least one sensor that's far enough out that Abbott is willing to replace it.)
My libra says I’m currently 13.9 but my finger says 10.9!
I wouldn't worry too much about that: they're both saying too high, so wait until you're more in range and consider reporting the differences if the readings are more than 1-2 different. (I'm not sure at what difference Abbott will give a replacement. I'm pretty sure they usually want 3 pairs of readings showing significant differences at different times.)

Hey everyone

I am new to the diabetes journey. My story is a long one…. However my question is - does anyone have incorrect readings on libra compared to finger prick. My libra says I’m currently 13.9 but my finger says 10.9!!

Hello, I started a new sensor today too. Only a couple of hours ago. The Libre app has a 0.7 discrepancy to the meter where as the calibrated aftermarket app is 0.3mmol.

Are you suitably hydrated? This can help with accuracy for me even if out of range. Something to do with the concentration viscosity of interstitial fluid the sensor reads from?

Libre has a "lag" compared to a fingerstick. The other thing is that they don't measure the same thing. There is a thread on the forum about this but I can't just find it

Hey everyone

Was the line on the Libre graph going upwards when you had your 13.9? The Libre tries to catch up the lag that there is between a true reading of Blood Glucose, and a reading taken from Interstitial fluid, which is what the Libre sensor reads. Sometimes the Libre overshoots, and later when you look at the graph it has ironed out the 'spike' and shows a graph more in accordance with your finger prick.

Hey everyone

That’s normal. The Libre can be inaccurate at the higher and lower ends of the scale. I remember once it told me I was 17 and my fingerprick showed 13. That’s a normal kind of difference, I found.

Also, if you’ve just put a new sensor on, they can be a bit mad for the first day or two and then settle down to being more accurate.

Was the line on the Libre graph going upwards when you had your 13.9? The Libre tries to catch up the lag that there is between a true reading of Blood Glucose, and a reading taken from Interstitial fluid, which is what the Libre sensor reads. Sometimes the Libre overshoots, and later when you look at the graph it has ironed out the 'spike' and shows a graph more in accordance with your finger prick.
Agreed, funny enough my Libre matches the meter reading from 15 minutes ago. (In the 3rd party app. )horizontal arrows on both apps. But Libre link still 0.5mmol out. Which isn’t a big deal fo me.

@TinkV , don’t feel deflated. These things can happen. But with perseverance it can be a great tool to use in gauging your management.

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit deflated @TinkV

You aren’t the first to have felt this way - but most people find the data from Libre (or other sensors) can be hugely helpful once you’ve got your hear around the foibles (like sensor lag, and start-up wobbles).

Hopefully that will be the case for you too. Stick with it.

Plus it’s important to remember that blood strips can vary too (generally 10-15%, but a small proportion of strips can read anything at all!), so while in general blood strips will be more immediate, there could be times when the sensor reading is a closer reflection of your actual glucose level than the result from a duff strip at that time.

Both devices (blood strips and sensors) suggest you should recheck if the reading doesn’t reflect how you are feeling.

When I’m higher or lower than usual my libre is usually always a couple of points out. I’ve become accustomed to this now. This is particularly true when BGs are moving quite fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back