Libra attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamppir8

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
OK anyone got a good way of keeping one on? I have physical job, lugging heavy stuff about and sweat. 2 sensors so far both fell off day 10 :'(

Seen the overplasters lots of reviewers say fall off after a day.
Rubber band belt digs in arm painful aparently.

Anyone had any success with anything? Was thinking maybe a small tubie grip? Bandana? Blood pressure wrap? Even superglue? No nails?

OK anyone got a good way of keeping one on? I have physical job, lugging heavy stuff about and sweat. 2 sensors so far both fell off day 10 :'(

Anyone had any success with anything? Was thinking maybe a small tubie grip? Bandana? Blood pressure wrap? Even superglue? No nails?
There are various ones advertised on Amazon from stick on or armband type.

I have an elastic strap with watch face type arm band and that works really well for me after catching my sensor on stuff working with the horses and scrubbing it off in the shower a couple of times. 🙄 If the strap is uncomfortable, then it is too tight and being too tight will cause compression and risk falsely low readings. I find my arm strap is fine and well worth the £8.95 or whatever it was for the improved security. The strap sometimes pings on things but it takes the hit for the sensor and I just place it back over the sensor and it is all good. Only lost one sensor since using it and that was when I was barrowing a load of horse manure under a fruit tree and a pruned branch end jabbed into it and ripped it straight off and I can't see anything withstanding that sort of challenge. Just really unfortunate that it caught my sensor right under the edge and levered it clean off.
Vet wrap (Cohesive bandage) might be a good option for you which stretches and sticks to itself. I believe rugby players use it to protect their Libre..... and it works great on horses' legs .... not that they wear Libre but just saying it stays on moving limbs without problem.

Last edited:
Yes I was thinking about compression affecting it. Also it's even more to snag on. I've got it on back of arm, but I'm lugging boxes all day and it's quite thick could catch it on front and rip whole thing up or down. Like the bandage idea, a tapered edge would be best as nowt to snag just ride over.

Can you get new one if it falls off from libra? Or order new one from drs? They sent me new one for first one as alarm stopped 3 days in.

Yes, you should report loss of your Libre to Abbott. It is not like you are delibrately pulling it off and it should be able to withstand everyday wear and tear and providing you have prepped your skin properly before application of the sensor.... ie washed and thoroughly dried the skin, sweat should not be a problem. What I find best is to apply my sensor at night before bed so that there is nothing going to challenge it for that initial period when the adhesive is bedding in and "setting" so to speak. I apply my arm strap straight away after application to give it plenty of support during that bedding in period and whilst I used to wear my arm strap for the full duration of the sensor ie 24/7 for 14 days, I now just wear it for the first 3-5 days and after that it seems to be more robust.
Not sure if you are a man but if you have particularly hairy arms, you might find it helpful to shave the spot prior to applying the sensor, to give it better adhesion.

Yes, you should report loss of your Libre to Abbott. It is not like you are delibrately pulling it off and it should be able to withstand everyday wear and tear and providing you have prepped your skin properly before application of the sensor.... ie washed and thoroughly dried the skin, sweat should not be a problem. What I find best is to apply my sensor at night before bed so that there is nothing going to challenge it for that initial period when the adhesive is bedding in and "setting" so to speak. I apply my arm strap straight away after application to give it plenty of support during that bedding in period and whilst I used to wear my arm strap for the full duration of the sensor ie 24/7 for 14 days, I now just wear it for the first 3-5 days and after that it seems to be more robust.
Not sure if you are a man but if you have particularly hairy arms, you might find it helpful to shave the spot prior to applying the sensor, to give it better adhesion.
Shall try the shaving good idea cheers.

The weird thing is I now have a dirty sticky ring (oh er mrs) where it was, gonna have to wd40 it off, but the middle is totally clean and smooth, like the glue has migrated to the edges.

The weird thing is I now have a dirty sticky ring (oh er mrs) where it was, gonna have to wd40 it off, but the middle is totally clean and smooth, like the glue has migrated to the edges.
I remember a few years ago, when Teresa May was PM, and was waiting to greet President Trump, the press showed a back view of her, and she was wearing a sleeveless evening dress. There on the back of one arm was her Libre sensor…and there on the other was a dark sticky ring from her previous one! You’d have thought an aide would have told her!

I'm the same as @rebrascora in that I use a watch face type armband. I use mine while sleeping and showering, as well as when I've applied a new sensor, for the 60 minutes that it's settling in. They should never be uncomfortable, and in fact I forget I've got mine on at times. If they are uncomfortable then chances are they are too tight and need to be adjusted.

You're right that it does add a little bit more bulk, and that makes it easier to snag on, but the plus side is that the band itself will bear the brunt - after all the entire idea behind them is to protect the sensor, and in that way they do the job perfectly. If that doesn't work for you then maybe look at some tape. You can buy water and sweat resistant tape designed for Libre that have a centre cut-out that should work.

Last edited:
Found a good solution, poundland tubygrip meter for quid, it's very thin but good enough for catching while getting dressed etc. Plus for physical stuff, for me getting near cages or bailer, tidying shelves etc, they do a ankle one for 6 quid, it's just long enough to go round arm and velcro so just put it on when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back