libra 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.e london

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I have been given on NHS a Libra 2 ,sensors ,and reader. My question is I do not have or intend to have a mobile never have any use for one . Well an old one left in car for breakdown only.my question is at the moment my libre 2 sensors and reader are free .no cost.if i should decide to have a mobile would i have to start paying the mobile company any money . If so how much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing you'd have to pay would be whatever charges you incurred for call/data usage either on a contract or PAYG basis. No charge for using the libre as such although it does upload a small amount of data but this can be done via WI-FI.

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN ON NHS A LIBRA 2 ,SENSORS ,AND READER. MY QUESTION IS I DO NOT HAVE OR INTEND TO HAVE A MOBILE NEVER HAVE ANY USE FOR ONE . WELL AN OLD ONE LEFT IN CAR FOR BREAKDOWN ONLY.MY QUESTION IS AT THE MOMENT MY LIBRE 2 SENSORS AND READER ARE FREE .NO COST.IF I SHOULD DECIDE TO HAVE A MOBILE WOULD I HAVE TO START PAYING THE MOBILE COMPANY ANY MONEY . IF SO HOW MUCH.
I'm pretty sure there is no longer a PAYG arrangement with any of the mobile phone companies. I had a 2nd phone which I replaced in late 2021 and tried to find a PAYG SIM card for that old phone, but after trying all the companies I could find on the High St for such a SIM I had to give in. The best I could get was a contract for £10 pm and I couldn't justify that commitment simply to have a reserve phone that I didn't truly need.

So, @s.e london, should you decide to replace your Reader with a mobile phone you should anticipate £10 monthly as a minimum. Additionally my current provider applies a cost of living % increase on my current contract as a
routine and I would not be surprised if that wasn't now standard practice across the mobile phone industry - just like the disappearance of PAYG. If I'm wrong about PAYG no longer existing and you can find such a thing, do please let me know. I'd still like to keep my old phone as a reserve but only if the price is right!

The Libre app can be used without consuming any mobile data. You do not need a contract or PAYG SIM (available from multiple mobile providers in the UK).
The only times you need to connect your phone to “the outside world” are
- to download the Libre Link app
- to upload your Libre data so that your DSN can view it
- to update the app
You can use free wifi for all of these.

You do need a mobile with Bluetooth to receive alerts and NFC to scan your sensor.
Most smart phones have these features.

Last edited:
So, @s.e london, should you decide to replace your Reader with a mobile phone you should anticipate £10 monthly as a minimum.
There’s no minimum cost, certainly not £10. I have a monthly contract with more data and minutes than I could ever use at a cost of £6 a month. You can have a mobile without a contract, just get a payg sim and don’t put any credit on it, use free WiFi cost of £0 a month.

Why do you need access to a mobile network (either payg or contract) to scan a Libre sensor?
Yes, very good point. If the phone is compatible for Libre 2 you are right - no contract needed.
There’s no minimum cost, certainly not £10. I have a monthly contract with more data and minutes than I could ever use at a cost of £6 a month. You can have a mobile without a contract, just get a payg sim and don’t put any credit on it, use free WiFi cost of £0 a month.
I also have a monthly contract for £6pm, this year forced to accept a cost of living increase. But when I asked for a 2nd PAYG SIM or equivalent contract at 6pm for medical reasons they were adamant that a new contract at £10 pm was their best offer. So I abandoned my old phone, which was no longer being kept secure on Android 8.
@Proud to be erratic PAYG still exists. Plenty of options still around. You don't even need credit on to use with a libre. My wife has an old phone for emergencies which we top up with about £5 a year.
Just googled and stand corrected, options exist - most I've never heard of - but they exist. Thanks.

Why do you need access to a mobile network (either payg or contract) to scan a Libre sensor?

Will the app work without data o upload the readings to librelink? I don’t know whether it would be OK with it, or would constantly nag you to set up a data connection to upload your readings / register your account?

I guess you could use wifi if you were at home?

I preferred using Libre with the reader myself. If you have a reader (which is also a BG meter) I doin't see any need to get a phone, unless you want one for another reason 🙂

Last edited:
@everydayupsanddowns you can use wifi.
I don't use Libre any more but I think it has an option to say not to use mobile data which will avoid the annoying nagging.

I am one of those people who prefer to use a phone as I always have it with me (and it controls my pump) and found the Libre reader bulky compared with my finger prick meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back