Libra 2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan M

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone else having problems with keeping sensors on your arm mine just do not stick for more than 2 days i clean my arm with a sterile wipes and i now use sensor plasters the round ones but i still seem to be having issues with keeping the sensor on

I always apply mine in the evening when it is cooler so my skin is less likely to sweat and I use an arm strap for the first couple of days and nights to give the adhesive chance to bond really well. I haven't had any problems since doing this nearly 2 years ago and before that it was usually because I caught it, that it came adrift.

I always exfoliate when I wash my arm before applying and I make really sure that my arm is thoroughly dry by blasting it with a hair drier for a minute after towel drying. I don't use wipes as they are not environmentally friendly. Once arm is really dry, I apply the sensor and hold in place for at least 60 seconds before I lift the applicator off because it almost never lifts off cleanly and I have to wiggle the applicator a bit to lift it free, at a time when the adhesive is at it's most vulnerable, so that 60 seconds just gives it some bonding time. Then I press it firmly all round and then apply my arm strap (the ones with the 3D printed plastic watch face and elastic strap and then go to bed and usually lie on it since I don't want to lie on the old sensor which is still active for that last night.... most of us apply the new sensor a day before we actually need to start it to give it some bedding in time. I also put my arm strap on when I get in the shower because I used to catch it when I was giving myself a good scrub with my exfoliating gloves, so the strap reminds me which arm it is on so that I don't catch it.

Not sure if any of that is helpful to you, but it is a system which works really well for me. I am pretty active working outdoors, so it does get exposed to sweat etc, but I still have to grimace when I prize it off on day 14 and it is doing a limpet impersonation!

I know @ColinUK was having some issues with this, so he may be one to ask - he did have a thread about it somewhere, perhaps search “findings from Freestyle Libre” or similar in the forum search and it may come up for you!

There’s a huge issue with the extraordinarily hot weather and sensors staying stuck.
I’ve spoken with Abbott a number of times recently as mine have fallen off as quickly as within 5 hours after application (complete with using an alcohol wipe, skin glu and a patch over the top). They say that there’s a rare individual who, in the combination of unseasonably hot weather and therefore a sweaty skin, finds that the adhesive sort of melts.

I’m fortunate as I don’t take insulin therefore my readings don’t have to be via a CGM but I’ve currently got a stockpile of 5 sensors which are all gratis replacements for ones that detached prematurely from my arm.

I’m taking a break from using them until we’re likely over this El Scorchio Heatbomb weather.

I know @ColinUK was having some issues with this, so he may be one to ask - he did have a thread about it somewhere, perhaps search “findings from Freestyle Libre” or similar in the forum search and it may come up for you!
Fears and findings….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back