Libra 2 no alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think i just had my first hypo, just sitting waiting for dinner to cook and felt very shaky, checked my phone and its was red 3,8 but no alarm does this mean its faulty ?

I think i just had my first hypo, just sitting waiting for dinner to cook and felt very shaky, checked my phone and its was red 3,8 but no alarm does this mean its faulty ?
What medication are you on? Did you check the 3.8 with a finger prick reading? Libre typically reads about 1mmol lower than actual finger prick for me, so it may be exaggerating the low as Libre sometimes does.

If you are not on any medication which will cause hypos (Gliclazide or insulin) then you really don't need to worry about it. Your liver is quite capable of releasing some stores to bring you back up if necessary, unless you have been celebrating your husband's good news with a glass of something.... Wouldn't blame you!... but that can prevent the liver from balancing your levels if they drop too low.

It might also help to know that actual hypo levels are below 3.5 but those of us who are on medication which can cause hypos treat anything below 4 to maintain a safety margin.

What medication are you on? Did you check the 3.8 with a finger prick reading? Libre typically reads about 1mmol lower than actual finger prick for me, so it may be exaggerating the low as Libre sometimes does.

If you are not on any medication which will cause hypos (Gliclazide or insulin) then you really don't need to worry about it. Your liver is quite capable of releasing some stores to bring you back up if necessary, unless you have been celebrating your husband's good news with a glass of something.... Wouldn't blame you!... but that can prevent the liver from balancing your levels if they drop too low.

It might also help to know that actual hypo levels are below 3.5 but those of us who are on medication which can cause hypos treat anything below 4 to maintain a safety margin.
I take Lantus 30 units every morning, i didn't check with a finger prick felt so weird and shaky i simply forgot, i will make sure i do if it happens again ,I've never felt that bad before, thank you for the information, the glass of something was for this evening if i dare risk it.

I think @Pam123 is on insulin? If you are, Pam, check you have the alarms switched on, then check what number the Low alarm is set for. When I had the Libre, I always set mine at 5.6 so I had good warning of hypos.

I think @Pam123 is on insulin? If you are, Pam, check you have the alarms switched on, then check what number the Low alarm is set for. When I had the Libre, I always set mine at 5.6 so I had good warning of hypos.
yes i am on insulin Lantus one dose a day, it was set on 4 ive just re set it to 5.6 thank you for your advice

yes i am on insulin Lantus one dose a day, it was set on 4 ive just re set it to 5.6 thank you for your advice

Great @Pam123 🙂 When my alarm sounded at 5.6, I fingerpricked. If the Libre direction arrow was going up, I sometimes didn’t fingerprick if I was confident my blood sugar was rising and I felt ok.

Always keep hypo treatments near you and around the house. I have a packet of Dextro glucose tablets by my bed, in my bag, in the kitchen and in my coat pocket. I also always keep digestive biscuits as top up carbs. If I go on a walk or out and about shopping or whatever, I always take plenty of glucose and my snacks. That way, I know I’ll be ok and that gives me peace of mind too.

Great @Pam123 🙂 When my alarm sounded at 5.6, I fingerpricked. If the Libre direction arrow was going up, I sometimes didn’t fingerprick if I was confident my blood sugar was rising and I felt ok.

Always keep hypo treatments near you and around the house. I have a packet of Dextro glucose tablets by my bed, in my bag, in the kitchen and in my coat pocket. I also always keep digestive biscuits as top up carbs. If I go on a walk or out and about shopping or whatever, I always take plenty of glucose and my snacks. That way, I know I’ll be ok and that gives me peace of mind too.
I had 3 jelly babies felt better after 20 mins ts now 7 so panic over, this is the first time after 6 months of being diagnosed

I had 3 jelly babies felt better after 20 mins ts now 7 so panic over, this is the first time after 6 months of being diagnosed
Hi Pam,
Although I have not had a clinical hypo yet I can imagine how worried you must have been and you have received really good advice on setting a higher Libre alarm to forewarn you.
Managing DM is all about learning to improve your control and the fact your panic is over should prove a valuable experience in helping cope should a similar event happen again and you will gradually improve your management both proactively and reactively.

Hi Pam,
Although I have not had a clinical hypo yet I can imagine how worried you must have been and you have received really good advice on setting a higher Libre alarm to forewarn you.
Managing DM is all about learning to improve your control and the fact your panic is over should prove a valuable experience in helping cope should a similar event happen again and you will gradually improve your management both proactively and reactively.
yes its a lesson learned i have armed myself with snacks around the house, will also most likely be looking at my phone a lot more now.

Not sure Pam if you use the reader or phone,
I normally use the reader but also have the Libre App on the phone as it also gives the data in a slightly different way which I find useful
Both are interchangeable but I use the alarm on my Libre

Not sure Pam if you use the reader or phone,
I normally use the reader but also have the Libre App on the phone as it also gives the data in a slightly different way which I find useful
Both are interchangeable but I use the alarm on my Libre
I have the app on my phone not sure what the reader is ?

I have the app on my phone not sure what the reader is ?
Once upon a time they sold a reader which could scan Libre sensors (which would remember up to 90 days of data which could be uploaded by connecting it to a computer). It also worked as a glucometer. They produce a version for Libre 2 (with alarms) but seem not to sell it (and the battery life is pretty terrible).

(I still have one and use it as my glucometer, but I guess I'll probably have to move to another one at some point since they don't seem so keen on it. Not so long ago I lost my reader and they replaced it when I asked, but I suspect they'll stop producing them (and the test strips) eventually.)

hey produce a version for Libre 2 (with alarms) but seem not to sell it (and the battery life is pretty terrible).
My Libre reader battery life is great and only needs a charge about once a week and I scan 30+ times a day, but I do have the out of range alarm turned off. Don't know if that makes a difference. I actually have 2 readers because I lost one but then found it again in the garden a month later full of water. Managed to dry it out and amazingly it still works but the battery doesn't last quite so long now after getting drowned.... but before that it also went a week between charges just like my original Libre reader, so quite surprised by your comment on battery life being poor. My phone would only go a day with the Libre app before needing charging, so I much prefer the reader.

My Libre reader battery life is great and only needs a charge about once a week and I scan 30+ times a day, but I do have the out of range alarm turned off.
Mine are all off (I mostly use my phone, which handles the alarms). Still needs charging every couple of days. I guess there's just some variation between individual batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back