Libra 2 . Falls off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CELTICDUFF

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I have tried to keep my Libre 2 on , trying tape etc. different parts of my arm. nothing works . It only stays on for a day .
HELP

Hi I assume you've wiped the area with an isopropyl alcohol wipe before fitting?

Hello, I have tried to keep my Libre 2 on , trying tape etc. different parts of my arm. nothing works . It only stays on for a day .
Huh? That surely doesn't make sense? It's a fairly light, small, plastic disk with decent glue. How can it only last for a day? (I happened to have changed sensor this morning so I weighed the old one and it's apparently 3.2g.)

(Some people find it sticks less well (presumably something to do with their skin), but there's surely some kind of sticky tape of some kind that'll stick. And if not, there are straps that can be used.)

Yes I have shaved the few hairs that are there . Washed dried. Alcohol wipe and applied as per instructions

Yes I have shaved the few hairs that are there . Washed dried. Alcohol wipe and applied as per instructions
How odd. There was (a while ago now) a batch with very little adhesive (so obviously didn't stick at all well) but that was ages ago and I haven't heard anything recently.

What are you washing with - nothing that moisturises? Definitely not using moisturiser?

No moisturiser. The first one lasted for 7 days and the last one approximately a day. This was a week ago as I was going on holiday and would be in the water . It’s frustrating

In the early days, I lost a few sensors and realised the problem was my placement.
It seems silly when I write this but the mistake I was making was thinking the sensor would bend. My arm is not flat and if I put the sensor on a very curved area, it would peel off because it couldn't stick over the whole area. Once I realised this and targeted the flatter part of my arm, the sensor stayed in place.

I have tried different areas on both arms. Strangely it’s amazing how many times I bumped into door frames .
Has anyone used a skin glue or strong tape. I used a product that used a product that had a plastic cup that had an adhesive covering. Unfortunately it ripped my skin

I use the Kovoq white plastic disc which covers the Libre 2 sensor, with one of the supplied circular adhesive tape patches which covers the whole thing and sticks to my upper arm.
The patch can get a bit frayed at the edges after a fortnight, but I have never had one detach when in use.
It all sticks so well that removal can be a bit difficult after the sensor expires, but soaking the with some massage oil (other lubricants are available!), giving it enough time to sink in, can often assist.

I use skin tac wipes. You wipe your arm and it dries tacky before you apply the sensor. Always holds the sensor on for 14 days and has the added advantage that it stops the irritation I sometimes got from the libre adhesive.

Has anyone used a skin glue or strong tape.
I haven't. (I find the glue on the Libre sufficient on its own, mostly.) I've occasionally stuck a Tegaderm (6x7cm) over one if it's started peeling off. I think @rebrascora uses a strap that goes around the arm (there are lots on sale with watch face type things specifically for Libre sensors).

Hello, it sounds to me like you’re doing all the right stuff. Is the sensor detaching from the double sided Libre patch or is the actual patch coming away from the skin?

Thanks everyone. I have the Kovok. It worked for about 5 days although it tore my skin slightly.

If I am doubtful about a sensor staying put I use a tegaderm over it.

tegaderm is fantastic, to be honest ive only used them twice, when the Libre was fraying at the edges but I alway keep some in just in case.

Yes, I use an arm strap and I find that works brilliantly both for protecting my Libre sensors but also for helping it to get a really good bond with my skin during the first 24 hours.

I think find a place on your arm that works best for you, having a good skin prep routine, having a good application technique and not exposing it to any hazards in the first few hours all help to ensure that it stays put.

I think the vulnerable part of the application process is when you lift the applicator away as I often find it snags on the sensor and doesn't come away cleanly putting the adhesive under pressure at it's most vulnerable time, I give the application a count of 100 before I try to lift the applicator off the sensor and I wriggle it gently and twist slightly rather than just pulling it straight off. I then make sure that I firm the sensor and adhesive down onto my skin with my other hand (and blot any blood in the process). I generally apply my sensor after a shower and before bed, so that the sensor has all night in bed to bond with my skin before it is exposed to the rigors of the day. I make really sure my arm is dry by blasting it with a hair drier before I start the application process. I put my arm strap on as soon as I apply the new sensor and that really seems to help it bond well overnight. Since following this routine, my sensors are like limpets on day 15 (I apply each sensor a day early to give it more bedding in time) when I try to remove them and there is a significant amount of grimacing required to get my finger nails underneath one side and prise it off. The strap also acts as reminder of which arm my sensor is on when I get in the shower and have a good scrub or when towel drying afterwards as these can be vulnerable times. I did manage to scrub a couple loose in the early days before I got my arm strap, but no problems since. Occasionally I twang the arm strap on sports bra straps or rucksack straps, but the sensor now remains intact whereas before it would end up getting lifted on one side and gradually stop working. I got my strap off a seller on ebay who is a young man who has diabetes himself and 3D prints the watch face part and then attaches the adjustable elastic strap and they come in a variety of colours from flesh tones through pastel colours to loud and proud neons. Well worth the investment for me as my sensors are exposed to a number of significant hazards including sweaty carriage horses scratching their itchy bridled faces up and down my arms.

Rebrascora do you have a name of the eBay seller?
Thank you
Gosh, it was several years ago, so I really don't remember. These are the same as I got and may well be the same seller but equally may not....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back