LFTs - Who is eligible for free test kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Although I was classed as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV) it appears I am not eligible for free tests. A friend who was diagnosed with an impaired immune system a decade ago. With treatment he cannot even remember the last time he had a cold. Has anybody seen a clear definition of who exactly is eligible for free tests?

Well, you could do what I just did, which is check on the internet. And no, you aren’t eligible.

You could, of course, move to Scotland or Wales, where they are still free if you have symptoms suggesting Covid infection.

These extract are taken from Diabetes UK’s FAQs following the Government’s “Living with Covid” plan

From 1 April:
• Free universal PCR and lateral flow testing for the general public in England will end – there will be limited free symptomatic testing for a small number of at-risk groups but we are still waiting for details of the criteria to be included in this. Free symptomatic testing will also remain available for social care staff
• Social-distancing guidelines will be updated to align with the changes in testing
• The current ‘Working Safely’ guidance will be replaced with new consolidated guidance to the public and businesses - the health and safety requirement for every employer to explicitly consider COVID 19 in their risk assessments will be removed for all settings except those that specifically work with COVID-19 like laboratories
• The government in Scotland have announced that they want to keep free lateral flow testing after this date but haven’t confirmed how long for and this will depend on what plans are made in Westminster due to funding arrangements in the devolved nations

What are the Government’s reasons for making these changes now?

The number of cases, hospitalisations and deaths due to COVID-19 continue to decline and the Government feel that we have much stronger protection against COVID-19 nowthan at any other point in the pandemic.

This is due to the risk of severe illness from the Omicron being lower compared to earlier variants, the vaccination programme and strong protection offered by the booster campaign, natural immunity after infection, access to antiviraltreatments to avoid severe illness and hospitalisation, and increased scientific and public understanding about how to manage risk.

The Government also say that the current testing and tracing strategy is very expensive – the Test, Trace and Isolate budget was more than the whole budget for the Home Office in 2020/21 for example – so they want to find a more sustainable way of managing it.

For these reasons, the Government now say it’s time to focus the COVID-19 response towards guidance instead of legal requirements while targeting protection on people who are most at risk from the virus.

What measures are being put in place for people who are at higher risk of COVID-19 in the new plan?

Access to free testing

We know that free symptomatic testing that will remain available to some people at higher risk and social care staff after 1st April. However, we don’t know who will be classed as being “at higher risk” until the Government releases further details.

With universal free testing ending, Office of National Statistics (ONS) will continue to track infections and put in place targeted regional responses where needed. The ONS have been tracking the spread of infections through the COVID-19 Infection Survey.

The number of cases, hospitalisations and deaths due to COVID-19 continue to decline
Which is where I think a more nimble government might have at least tweaked their policy. It looked (from other countries) that numbers would fall quickly, but that didn't happen (likely because of BA.2).

But now we're stuck, with the Education Secretary (with a straight face) saying that he doesn't wear a mask but does carefully wash his hands because he shakes lots of hands.

Well, since the chances of catching Covid depends on the viral load received, that makes the chances of shaking hands being a cause much lower than airborne transmission. Which rather makes the Education Secretary seem to be ignorant of the risks.

The current wave of the latest variant is rapid because of airborne transmission, not because everyone is shaking hands with everyone they meet.

I was sent a free pack of tests, no idea why, might be because I was sent an email to tell me I was one of the chosen to receive anti virials if I caught the virus.

But now we're stuck, with the Education Secretary (with a straight face) saying that he doesn't wear a mask but does carefully wash his hands because he shakes lots of hands.

Oh good grief!

No wonder people get confused o_Oo_Oo_O

I spoke with the district nurse today. She felt that all those who were classed as CEV should get free LFTs and not a subset. We decided it was probably a money saving exercise as the Health Minister was the Chancellor before he was sacked and probably knows less about health than we do! He probably sponges the elbow if his suit with anti-bacterial after playing elbow knock-knock. Does he know Covid is a virus and not a bacteria. I doubt it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back