LEVOTHYROXINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosalindb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I started on these mid April. For a few months before I found my BG was rising a bit despite eating carefully. Since starting this med I have found BG dropping to very good levels for me, between 4.9 and 7. I was wondering if the Levothyroxine was helping this.

I started on these mid April. For a few months before I found my BG was rising a bit despite eating carefully. Since starting this med I have found BG dropping to very good levels for me, between 4.9 and 7. I was wondering if the Levothyroxine was helping this.
Rosalind, your thyroid gland is a cornerstone of your metabolic health, so perhaps now you are getting a bit of support in that area your blood sugars have improved.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago, having previously developed T2. I honestly can't say my blood sugars improved or got worse when I started treatment, but we're all different and your feeling is plausible.

One thing I did find was that each time my levothyroxine dose was increased I felt marvellous for a couple of weeks, then y symptoms moved in again, so please don't be alarmed if that happens.

It is really very unusual that a starter dose of levothyroxine to be the correct dose for an individual. There usually needs to be an increase or two over a few months.

Do you have another set of blood tests scheduled in a few weeks? Hopefully you'll be sorted soon.

Rosalind, your thyroid gland is a cornerstone of your metabolic health, so perhaps now you are getting a bit of support in that area your blood sugars have improved.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago, having previously developed T2. I honestly can't say my blood sugars improved or got worse when I started treatment, but we're all different and your feeling is plausible.

One thing I did find was that each time my levothyroxine dose was increased I felt marvellous for a couple of weeks, then y symptoms moved in again, so please don't be alarmed if that happens.

It is really very unusual that a starter dose of levothyroxine to be the correct dose for an individual. There usually needs to be an increase or two over a few months.

Do you have another set of blood tests scheduled in a few weeks? Hopefully you'll be sorted soon.
yes I am due to see nurse on 26 may and diabetic nurse on 7 June for blood tests.

I've read a few studies linking thyroid problems and type 2
Sorry I can't link any here but if you Google you'll find some. My diabetic nurse said she doesn't know of a link.

My thyroid failed a long time before I was diagnosed with diabetes, and I settled on 200micrigrams of Thyroxine, but once diagnosed and settled on a low carb diet which the HCPs have not interrupted my thyroid seems to be recovering and I am now taking just 125 micrograms of thyroxine and am due another test. There really does seem to be a connection between the two conditions, at least for me.

I've read a few studies linking thyroid problems and type 2
Sorry I can't link any here but if you Google you'll find some. My diabetic nurse said she doesn't know of a link.

Unfortunately, both T2 and thyroid challenges are extremely common, so it would be unusual for theyr not to be folks impacted by both conditions.

There is a known link between T1 and autoimmune thyroiditis (aka Hashimoto's Disease) as they are both auto-immune (AI) conditions and once one has one AI the chances of developing another rise a bit.

Unfortunately, GPs don't routinely test for thyroid antibodies, but consultants usually will - once.

I take 75mcg levothyroxine every day. The leaflet says that it's possible that it can actually negatively affect the effectiveness of insulin, rather than improve it. In honestly I haven't seen an impact in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back