Levimir availability

hdpiwdpwpdw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have a prescription for Levimir pre-filled pens but my local pharmacist has no stock and advised their wholesalers don't either.
Which would be the simplest to do: return to my doctor and ask for a repeat prescription or is there a way of easily identifying a pharmacist with stock, I've tried ringing around but there seems to be a call centre type holding system in place

I have a prescription for Levimir pre-filled pens but my local pharmacist has no stock and advised their wholesalers don't either.
Which would be the simplest to do: return to my doctor and ask for a repeat prescription or is there a way of easily identifying a pharmacist with stock, I've tried ringing around but there seems to be a call centre type holding system in place
Check with your pharmacy first, but I don’t believe there is a shortage of Levemir cartridges for reuseable pens, just a shortage of the pre-filled pens,so you could ask your GP for a refillable pen, and the cartridges to fit. (this is better for the environment too, less plastic waste)

The shortage of pre-filled pens was reported by Diabetes UK (with advice) last month.

Check with your pharmacy first, but I don’t believe there is a shortage of Levemir cartridges for reuseable pens, just a shortage of the pre-filled pens,so you could ask your GP for a refillable pen, and the cartridges to fit. (this is better for the environment too, less plastic waste)
If you ask for reusable pens, ask for two. You need a backup in case it fails.

The reusable pen you need to ask for is a NovoPen 6 or a NovoPen Echo. The Echo dispenses in half units which is particularly useful if you are on low doses. My evening dose of Levemir is quite small and if I can't decide if I need 1unit or 2, I can split the difference and inject 1.5units, whereas the NovoPen 6 delivers full units the same as your FlexPens. I really love having that half unit option with the Echo.
You then get Levemir Penfill cartridges prescribed and it is very easy to install the cartridge in the pen. The cartridges take up less space in the fridge and the pens themselves usually last at least 5 years. They also have a last dose feature which means that you can check when you last injected and how much, for those "Did I?" or "Didn't I?" moments. They are really great pens.

NovoPen Echo
You'll want the Echo Plus (likely that's what you'd be offered anyway). The Novopen Echo Plus and Novopen 6 are the current pens, and @rebrascora lists the main difference. (If you take large doses of Levemir then the Novopen 6 would make sense but otherwise the Echo Plus is likely better because of half units.) (The colour choices are also different, but that's not terribly significant. Both pens come in two colours so if you use two then you can (and should) use one of each colour.)

Ask for Echo Plus and penfill cartridges - you'll also get 1/2 unit capability which is very useful (more so I've found with Bolus insulin TBH) - See attached photo - Silver is for Basal (Novopen 6) and Blue (Echo Plus) is for Bolus 1726867403073.jpeg

Hope you are able to get access to reusable pens and cartridges without too much difficulty @hdpiwdpwpdw

There are so many shortages across a whole range of meds at the moment, that it’s quite hard to keep up.

I’ve never known a time like it!

Back