Levemir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bat5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I’ve moved over to Levemir from semglee recently. I’ve found night time doses aren’t quite enough and slightly rise by waking I’m using split doses. Does anyone take more units of a night time and then less in the daytime eg 10 and 4 in the day?
Pardon the grammar I’m at work!
Thanks

I need much much more in the morning and less at night 24 and 2.5 currently, but we are all different so you have to find what works for you. The thing I find great about Levemir is that sometimes just changing when you take it can make the difference you need, so whilst HCPs might say that it needs to be 12 hours apart I find that before I get out of bed..... usually 7am and at bedtime 11pm works well for me. It may be that just taking your evening dose later (if you currently take it at say 7 or 8pm) gives you more activity in the morning when you need it. Levemir has a peak of activity, so adjusting the time you take it to match the peak of activity with when your body most needs it, can be the key to getting a good balance.

I assume you have Libre.... Can you post a picture of your graph which shows the morning rise and details of when you take your Levemir?

The value of the split doses is that you can adapt as it suits you.
If you think about it, an insulin pump takes this split a step further where it can adjust my basal for every 30 minutes.

I use a split Levermir.13 at bedtime and 12 at waking. I am using Libre but in all honesty I cannot see thr results of this, My BG stays exactly level all night every night.

I use a split Levermir.13 at bedtime and 12 at waking. I am using Libre but in all honesty I cannot see thr results of this, My BG stays exactly level all night every night.
Sounds like your evening dose is right then. Have you done any basal testing during the day to see if your daytime dose is holding you steady in the absence of food and bolus insulin?

How do I do Basal testing?
Essentially, you skip a meal each day to see if your basal insulin is holding you steady during that part of the day....
So the first day of your basal testing, you might skip breakfast but have lunch and evening meal and then the next day you would have breakfast but skip lunch and on the third day. have breakfast and lunch but skip your evening meal.

It is explained more fully in the link below

Whilst I think it was devised for people on insulin pumps, it is just as useful for people on MDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back