Levemir timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve recently been prescribed Levemir as my long acting insulin. I was just wondering what timings people use for their two injections? I previously injected my long acting at 6am and approx 9.30pm. I’m just wondering if 15 hours is too big a time gap between morning and evening.

It will depend on how much you inject in the morning, and how much in the evening!

I inject my Levemir as soon as I wake up and when I go to bed usually if any need any in the evening., so generally 7am and 11pm, but my day and night time doses are very different. I need 22u in the morning and anywhere from zero to 5u in the evening. I seem to get a spell in the depths of winter when the days are shortest where I need to move the evening dose forward to 7pm for a few weeks as my levels start to rise in the evening and this has happened for the last 3 years but otherwise it's bedtime if I need any. The great thing about Levemir is that it provides the flexibility to adjust the timing to utilize it's peak of activity when you need it as well as adjust doses on a day by day and night by night basis to accommodate exercise and alcohol and time of the month or whatever else causes your basal needs to change... illness etc. I absolutely love my Levemir. I hope you find it works well for you.

Mine was 7.30am ish and 9.30pm ish - used to be bedtime hence 11pm to 11.30pm ish but going too high between 11pm and 1am hence had to change to earlier since it works the same as do basal insulins in pumps, if you need the effect at X time, you change the dose at roughly X minus 2 hours. 14 or 15u in the morning and 4 or 5u in the evening, depending on ambient temperature. (less when hot weather, more when cold) so TDD between 18 and 20u. 5ft 1 tall, clerical worker, clothes size 10 or 12.

I inject my Levemir as soon as I wake up and when I go to bed usually if any need any in the evening., so generally 7am and 11pm, but my day and night time doses are very different. I need 22u in the morning and anywhere from zero to 5u in the evening. I seem to get a spell in the depths of winter when the days are shortest where I need to move the evening dose forward to 7pm for a few weeks as my levels start to rise in the evening and this has happened for the last 3 years but otherwise it's bedtime if I need any. The great thing about Levemir is that it provides the flexibility to adjust the timing to utilize it's peak of activity when you need it as well as adjust doses on a day by day and night by night basis to accommodate exercise and alcohol and time of the month or whatever else causes your basal needs to change... illness etc. I absolutely love my Levemir. I hope you find it works well for you.
Thank you. On my previous basal I had very different amounts am and pm so we’re going with the same on Levemir and we can adjust. I just forgot to ask the Consultant about the timing!

Mine was 7.30am ish and 9.30pm ish - used to be bedtime hence 11pm to 11.30pm ish but going too high between 11pm and 1am hence had to change to earlier since it works the same as do basal insulins in pumps, if you need the effect at X time, you change the dose at roughly X minus 2 hours. 14 or 15u in the morning and 4 or 5u in the evening, depending on ambient temperature. (less when hot weather, more when cold) so TDD between 18 and 20u. 5ft 1 tall, clerical worker, clothes size 10 or 12.
Thank you. I’ve actually brought forward my evening Levemir last night as I feel it’s rising a bit after I’ve gone to bed. Will see how that goes and can adjust again if necessary! Think it might just be a bit of trial and error for the next wee while until I work out the best timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back