Levemir dosage for Type 2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I last saw my GP she implied there was some formula for working out the expected dosage form a Type 2 on Levemir (something like a half of your weight in Kilograms as the number of units). My dosage is now about equal to my weight (60 in the morning and 46 in the evening). Thats in addition to the 2 500mg Metformin am and pm.

What do other Type 2s use?

Hi Vic
I am also type 2, I recall my consultant saying something about a formula that they use for working out an approx: dosage..I take Levemir, my dosage is 70 units Morning and 70 units Evenings, I am also on Novorapid at mealtimes..

Hi I'm on 2g of Metformin & 23 units of insulatard (?) at night. Before the insulatard I couldn't get my morning levels down even though everything was fine the rest of the day.

I don't know about type 2's but the formula for type 1's is 0.5 units/KG but it's only a rough guide and people will vary.
I woudl expect type 2's to generally use higher amounts of insulin due to insulin resistance.

If the amoutn if insulin you are using is working to control your blood suagrs then it is the right amount, sometimes people worry that seem to be using more or less insulin than most people. But if your blood sugars are controlled it doesn't matter how much you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back