Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJB1969

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm about a month into my type 1 diagnosis. Blood sugars as a whole have been pretty good. I took a reading before lunch and reading was 5.1. Out of interest I took a ketone reading and that showed 0.7 Should I be concerned as blood sugars fine ‍♀️

Are you on any other medication or just insulin? Also, how much carbohydrate are you usually eating in a day altogether?

Just insulin. Carbs vary, realistically about 60 ish carbs a day. Its all very new to me!

Perhaps if you give a bit more information about which insulins you are using and when you are having them.
That seems to be quite a low amount of carbs so are you adjusting your insulin for the amount of carbs per meal.
I hope you have hypo treatment to hand.
I wonder why you are checking for ketones when your blood glucose is low, I thought it only necessary if blood glucose was high but maybe wrong.

Perhaps if you give a bit more information about which insulins you are using and when you are having them.
That seems to be quite a low amount of carbs so are you adjusting your insulin for the amount of carbs per meal.
I hope you have hypo treatment to hand.
I wonder why you are checking for ketones when your blood glucose is low, I thought it only necessary if blood glucose was high but maybe wrong.
Sorry as I said this is all very new to me. I'm on Novorapid 30. I take 22 units before breakfast and 24 units before evening meal. As of yet I've not seen the diabetes nurse i have an appt middle of November. I've not been told about adjusting insulin just to watch my carbs which I'm trying very hard to do.
I only checked my ketones out of interest, i wouldn't normally check unless bloods were high and yes I do have hypo stuff to hand. Thanks for your response, all info very much appreciated

I'm on Novorapid 30.
So Novomix 30? That's a mixture of long acting (basal) and quick acting (bolus) insulin, and more awkward to adjust.

Bit odd that's what they've put you on (more usual would be separate basal and bolus insulins). The basal/bolus regime does involve more injections (one bolus for each meal in addition to the basal (which can be twice a day down to once every 2 or 3 days I think, depending on the insulin)) but does make it possible to adjust the bolus for different sized meals.

So Novomix 30? That's a mixture of long acting (basal) and quick acting (bolus) insulin, and more awkward to adjust.

Bit odd that's what they've put you on (more usual would be separate basal and bolus insulins). The basal/bolus regime does involve more injections (one bolus for each meal in addition to the basal (which can be twice a day down to once every 2 or 3 days I think, depending on the insulin)) but does make it possible to adjust the bolus for different sized meals.
Ah right, well I'll be sure to talk it through with them when i see them. Its all a learning curve!

Ah right, well I'll be sure to talk it through with them when i see them. Its all a learning curve!
Were you given any guidance about the amount of carbohydrate per meal you should be having to balance with your fixed doses of that particular insulin.
Who did you see that gave you the amount of insulin to take, I would have thought they should be checking with you regularly to see how you are getting on and monitoring your blood glucose readings.
Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis and what your HbA1C is. I assume you have had the antibody tests to confirm Type 1 or is it just from clinical symptoms.

Welcome @AJB1969 welcome to the forum and the confusing world of diabetes.
My understanding is that high ketones are only a risk (a risk of ketoacidosis) when blood sugar levels are high (above 15).
Our ketones may be high if we haven't eaten but this is not a problem with blood sugar levels in single figures.

I only check my ketones when my levels get high and stay there.

Were you given any guidance about the amount of carbohydrate per meal you should be having to balance with your fixed doses of that particular insulin.
Who did you see that gave you the amount of insulin to take, I would have thought they should be checking with you regularly to see how you are getting on and monitoring your blood glucose readings.
Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis and what your HbA1C is. I assume you have had the antibody tests to confirm Type 1 or is it just from clinical symptoms.
I was given no guidance regarding carbs and insulin just told to take the doses as stated. As background i was bluelighted to hospital with what was diagnosed as pyelonephritis, in DKA and given the type 1 diagnosis. My current HbA1c is 134 which my Diabetes nurse confirmed in a phone call last week. I am awaiting the results of the intense blood test to confirm diagnosis but the hospital consultant was pretty sure its type 1

Hi. Yes, NICE recommends all T1s should be on the Basal/Bolus regime to give the best BS control so I would discuss changing with the GP unless you want to avoid 5'ish injections per day.

Hi. Yes, NICE recommends all T1s should be on the Basal/Bolus regime to give the best BS control so I would discuss changing with the GP unless you want to avoid 5'ish injections per day.

They're not completely against mixed insulins, but there needs to be some reason (which may well be present for all we know): https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/recommendations#mixed-insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back