Levels rise after breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. Only joined up today mainly due to total frustrastion.

Trying to get my blood sugars back under control but...
07.30 -Breakfast this morning - LOw sugar Musali with 1/2 Banana,1/2 Apple 3 strawberries. 1 piece of toast and a cuppa.
Since then 1 pear and 1 banana.

Sugars have gone from 9 - to 12 - How is this ? :confused:

Any help.

hi roy why dont u go in to newbies and introduce yourself you will get more people seeing you have joined there anyways welcome to the forum and a warm welcome all that sounds fine to me and going down any which way and by however many is great

well done

Hi everyone. Only joined up today mainly due to total frustrastion.

Trying to get my blood sugars back under control but...
07.30 -Breakfast this morning - LOw sugar Musali with 1/2 Banana,1/2 Apple 3 strawberries. 1 piece of toast and a cuppa.
Since then 1 pear and 1 banana.

Sugars have gone from 9 - to 12 - How is this ? :confused:

Any help.

Hi Roy, welcome to the group! There's quite a bit of carbohydrate in the foods you describe - bananas in particular can be quite high GI if very ripe. Fruit is good, but it all contains fructose, so all will be contributing to the rise. How long after eating did you test? It's not an extreme rise - some people end up in the 20's.

Thanks Steff.

I will go to newbies. PROBLEM is that they are going up.
This morning from 9 up to 12 ??

Thanks Northener.
I've been high - up to 17 at most - but feeling avaerage at the moment, hence trying hard to get back to 7's and 8.
Banana was at 10.00 - and now i've got the hots.
Roy

sorry i mis read there i thought it said gone down tut
stick aorund here and before long you will be in the know is all i can say lol x

Hi roy and welcome. Most food will make your blood sugars rise a couple of hours after eating - main thing is that they return to 'normal' before next meal. Did your DSN give you any targets to aim for - for e.g. my DSN gave me a target of 11 or less, 2 hours after eating, and between 4 and 8 before meals. I know diabetes UK and others recommend less than this, but I prefer to use my individual targets set by my DSN.

Hi Runner. Apologies if this is the wrong forum to chat but just looking for help.
I have never been given any targets. In previous years I've managed to control my sugars between 4.2 at it's lowest usually around 17.00 before eating and a high of 8.
Hence the Doctor sends me away - as got it under control.
Last 6 months I have not been watching what I eat and now paying for it.
I have now gone back to basics but my numbers are jumping from 8 - 13.
The frustration is how hard you try but how easy it jumps after what I think is eating nothing incorrectly.
Apologies to waffle on - Roy

I expect Northerner will move the thread if its in the worng place - don't worry! As he said earlier, there were quite a lot of carbs in what you ate and fruit sugars. It could also be the heat -it has been making otheres blood sugars go both up and down! What you can do is keep a note of how different foods affect you and gen up on what's in them, carb and sugars. Excercise will also help management.

Hi Runner. Apologies if this is the wrong forum to chat but just looking for help.
I have never been given any targets. In previous years I've managed to control my sugars between 4.2 at it's lowest usually around 17.00 before eating and a high of 8.
Hence the Doctor sends me away - as got it under control.
Last 6 months I have not been watching what I eat and now paying for it.
I have now gone back to basics but my numbers are jumping from 8 - 13.
The frustration is how hard you try but how easy it jumps after what I think is eating nothing incorrectly.
Apologies to waffle on - Roy

Hello Roy and welcome to the site. Well done on controlling your diabetes up until the past 6 months. Unfortunately, for many, diabetes is progressive and some people find what works initially will gradually become not enough to maintain that control - immensely frustrating! Quite a few people on the site seem to have had problems with higher levels through the recent heat wave too

Targets for Type 2s are 4-7mmol/l pre-food, 8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal and HbA1c of 6.5 or less. The only way I know of how to see what is affecting you is to keep testing. Personally, looking at your earlier post, my levels would go up if I had muesli for breakfast as first thing in the morning my insulin resistance seems to be at its highest.

Hi, I've split this out into a separate thread, as more people may see it and offer advice that way.🙂

As northerner said, you are eating a lot of carbs for breakfast. Maybe you could try eating something with less carbohydrate in it and see how that goes.

It's not an extreme rise - some people end up in the 20's.[/QUOTE]

me for one :(

Hi Roy

Porridge oats, albeit good for you, can have the effect of pushing the levels up.

I did an experiment with my daughter overnight once. I needed to find something to guarantee hypo prevention over night. Firstly we tried cornstarch but that is disgusting. We then tried porridge made with normal porridge oats and water, so just the oats. Regardless of what her level was when beginning it would shoot her up to the 20's and keep her there all night. I could give lots of insulin and it would still not bring her down.

Also don't forget most people generally get a mid morning spike of some sort. Yours is only a small spike ie from 9 to 12. To me it would seem your morning number of 9 needs coming down a bit somehow.

Thanks for all the comments.

As they say it's good to talk about it. I know my numbers are not to high and very lucky not to inject etc etc, but I am feeling under the weather with it, hence trying so hard to get them down.
The museli and fruit I've had since being told I'm type 2 in 2006.
That seemed to work last year. I'll just go back to trial and error.
Just to keep the numbers down I'll miss the banana, maybe.
Thanks to all once again, nice to know your there. And welcome all comments.
Roy

Good idea Roy. 'They' say only ever change one thing at a time. Good luck and I hope you get them down ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back