Levels Crashing

Tahero

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I wonder if anyone can help? I was diagnosed type 1 LADA approximately 12 months ago, though it occurred after vast amounts of steroids pre and post op. But after anti gad testing I was told it was type 1.
I started on basal and bolus, but after six months ditched the bolus with meals as it crashed pretty much every mealtime. Carb counting was ridiculous as it worked out 1:60 and when I moved it then crashed even on that dosage.
Over the past two days it has started crashing on basal alone, yet I only take 6 units basal Lantus daily.
My blood sugar levels do rise after meals but if I go for a walk they then immediately come straight back down. As I say the past 24 hours levels have crashed down to 3.4 4 times.
It's almost like things are going backwards and I haven't got a clue what's going on?

Sorry to hear that your Diabetes is not behaving itself.
It certainly sounds like you are still in the Honeymoon Period where your body is making some insulin. If your levels are dropping you to hop you are taking more insulin than you need, so it sounds like your basal is too much for you at present. Did your team advise you to make changes to doses?

The destruction of the beta cells by the antibodies takes quite a while and in adults is slower than in children when diagnosed. As you are able to bring your levels down after a meal with exercise you must have some insulin there in response to the carbs, and quite a few people find that they don’t need bolus at the start and need small doses of basal. I was only on small doses at the start which was one reason I went on to a pump.

It is frustrating as we have to continually work out what we need and make adjustments as necessary.

Perhaps your basal needs reducing @Tahero ? You say you “only” take 6 units of basal, but I take less than 7 units even 30 years after diagnosis, so it might simply be that 6 units is too much for you.

I take between zero and 4 basal

I'm only on 5 units Basal and it is perfectly adequate but the crashes after bolus certainly point towards the "honeymoon period" - it will get easier but is a minefield to start with - hope it calms down

Back