Letter for travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarelryxx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just wondering how I go about getting a letter when flying to cover me taking insulin / needles etc on board aircraft do I contact my diabetic team or will my doctor s surgery provide a letter and is there’s charge as I’ve not flown since my diagnosis any feedback appreciated

From what I understand you are best to get the letter from your DSN at the hospital because they should provide it free whereas your GP will likely charge. The nurse will hopefully leave it open dated so that you can use the same letter over and over again each time you go abroad and will probably have more idea of the info to include than a GP as I imagine it is quite a routine task for them..Hope you have a great trip. Where are you off to?

Thanks for info off to Majorca for long awaited holiday bit apprehensive about travelling and all that comes with it early flight s

@Clarelryxx I have travelled a lot with my diabetes and most people don't care.
I carry my letter with me but in 100svof flights over 20 years, I have had to show it once. I continue to carry the letter for insurance but it is now a raggedly sheet of paper that only I see.
Some people inform the airline before they fly. Some people tell airport security. I don't unless they explicitly ask. I haven't been asked for years.

Remember to take at least twice as much of everything than you think you will need. Carry it in your hand luggage. Make sure you have travel insurance. Keep your hypo treatment with you in your seat (not the overhead locker). And enjoy your holiday.

May be helpful to take with you a 'repeat prescriptions' list, cos much like that letter you asked about it's most unlikely you'd need it but if you have it for me that's pretty much guaranteed I won't! But anyway, most pharmacy staff in most of Spain speak English anyway. Last time I needed to visit one happened to be in Majorca (Knob all to do with diabetes, I'd bust a blood vessel in my knee when I accidentally did something really daft whilst refereeing a volleyball match one day) - that was over 20 years ago and yep, most modern European tongues spoken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back