Letter for air travel (Return trip, England to Spain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello,

Do I need a letter for air travel if I'm taking an Accu-chek Instant with strips, Accu-chek Fastclix with lancets (drums) and pack of Metformin on a flight (Ryanair) from Manchester to Malaga?

My Doctor wants £35 for a letter if I require one.

Any advice?

I have been travelling for 20 years with lancets, needles and syringes on, literally, hundreds of flights. Only once have I been asked to show a letter and that was during a period of high security alert. It was due to the “shoe bomber”, if you remember that.
Airport security are only concerned with blades longer than 6cm which you are not travelling with so there should be no reason for a letter. If you are concerned, you could take a copy of your prescription. I would not waste £35 on a letter.

I agree with helli completely. I've carried insulin and blood testing stuff for over 30 years with no problem. Save your money.

Do you put it in hand luggage though or does it have to go in hold baggage? I have lancets, strips and a glucose machine even though I was pre-diabetic, normal, pre-diabetic again. I have never taken mine as I worry about security at the airports. As I am not diabetic and so, strictly speaking, do not have a "medical condition" I wondered if I would be breaking the rules.

These things are not a problem at airports. You aren't required to prove that you are diabetic and in any case it's perfectly legal to carry them. You'd have to be pretty determined to cause anybody serious harm with a finger pricking device. If you are still worried put it in the hold.

Last edited:
Do you put it in hand luggage though or does it have to go in hold baggage?
I put it in my hand luggage. That way I can guarantee it will arrive at the destination at the same time as me.
This can be a fair amount of stuff because I always take at least twice as much of everything than I think I will need.
I have never taken mine as I worry about security at the airports. As I am not diabetic and so, strictly speaking, do not have a "medical condition" I wondered if I would be breaking the rules.
It is not breaking any rules regardless whether you have a "medical condition" or not.
As I mentioned above, they pay not attention to my diabetes equipment because the lancets are too small for them to worry about and there is absolutely nothing wrong with test strips and glucose meter.

Just to update; travelled through both Manchester and Malaga airports with no issues.

I placed all kit in a clear bag and told security I was T2D and shown them the bag, all fine on both sides 🙂

I just put it all in my hand luggage, I’ve never said it’s there or showed a letter. No one has ever asked or commented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back