Less or not

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Woke this morning reading was 10.2 took my basal 20 units (tresiba)
6.15 am 2 units of rapid
6.30 food...40g quaker rolled oats, milk...
Walked to work...2 mile
Won't be eating again till 12, going to have to snack, should I have taken even less insulin, carb count is usually 1 :10 . Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_105752.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_105752.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 14
40g of rolled oats with milk is likely to be about 30g carbs, so with a 1:10 ratio, that would be 3 units and then I would also include a correction of at least 1 unit because you woke up above range on 10.2, so I would have jabbed at least 4 units if I wasn't walking to work, but with the planned walk to work, I would probably reduce that by by 50% to 2 units, which is obviously what you injected. The fact that you fell so significantly and were still dropping at 11am suggests to me that your basal insulin (Tresiba) may be too much through the day, as I would not expect NovoRapid to be continuing to drop you by that much between 10 and 11am, 4-5 hours after injection. However, your slightly rising levels at night suggest that it is possibly not providing you with quite enough basal coverage overnight, so I wonder, if you see a trend of that happening day after day, if perhaps Tresiba is not an ideal basal insulin for you. That said, there is no reason why you couldn't have a mid morning snack to offset that drop, if it is a regular occurrence, as it is quite a long time from 6.30 to 12 without food, especially when you are walking and working.

Those are my thoughts but based solely on the one graph you have posted and you shuld never make any decisions based on one incident, but rather look for patterns of similar incidents happening. The daily patterns graph can be quite useful to spot trends.

@Charl did you check that high with a finger prick?
Unless this is the pattern you see most days, I wonder if your sensor was having a funny turn.
The recommendation is to check BG from a CGM wit a finger prick before making corrections. This is because CGMs can exaggerate the highs (and lows) causing you to take too much insulin.

Back