Leicester and Cambridge spearhead one of UK's biggest diabetes prevention programmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A group of University of Leicester researchers has received a ?1.9 million grant to undertake one of the largest scale diabetes prevention programmes in the UK.

The study, called the Prevention of Diabetes Through Physical Activity Education With Different Levels of Ongoing Support (PROPELS), aims to provide information to the NHS to help reduce the number of people who develop type 2 diabetes in the future.

http://www.inloughborough.com/news/...of UKs biggest diabetes prevention programmes

Sorry to be cynical
money to keep academics in work comes to mind. It reminds me of Loughborough University ergonomics department spending years inventing and testing a spoon thats the right shape for eating with! the one I have works perfectly well.
The 1.9million would have been better spent blood testing everybody who is in the risk groups across the country and then providing meters and test strips for diabetics so they can deal with it.

Yes, but the funding comes from a funding budget - eg NIHR. This money does not belong to anyone for any other purpose and if Loughboro didn't have it to do this, it would NOT be spent on test strips .......

I have a lot of respect for Loughboro, Runsweet and all that jazz.

Jolly good luck to them !

Sorry to be cynical
money to keep academics in work comes to mind. It reminds me of Loughborough University ergonomics department spending years inventing and testing a spoon thats the right shape for eating with! the one I have works perfectly well.
The 1.9million would have been better spent blood testing everybody who is in the risk groups across the country and then providing meters and test strips for diabetics so they can deal with it.

You might like my poem 'Astounding Discoveries'

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back