Leg Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

My left leg seems to be acting up lately. Started with pain in the buttock area which went down the back of my leg. So I thought Sciatica. Then it seemed to move to the back of my knee and sometimes on the inside of my leg from the groin area. On occasions my thigh hurts for no reason whatsoever and one day I had a weak feeling in my lower leg! It seems worse after sitting down. When I get into the bath and lower myself into the warm water it really plays up - what's going on?!!

Am I going mad??!! I'm seeing my dr next Fri but feel a complete hyperchondriac with all these mystery pains which move around! Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi Flutterby, I had problems with my right leg in the first few months after diagnosis but never really pinned it down to anything. It might have been one of the drugs I was on, my initial recovery from DKA, or just due to increased nerve sensitivity as my levels started to fall closer to normal range. Do mention it to your doctor - they should know of anything, so don't feel you're being a hypochondriac! My problems subsided after the first three months. Are you on statins? One of the side-effects is muscle pain.

Hi Northerner. no I'm not on Statins so at least that rules one thing out. Been type 1 for 32 years so bit worried in case it's related. I will mention it even though I feel stupid as on a couple of occasions it's been bad enough to warrent painkillers. There's always something! Thanks for your reply.

Hubby gets sciatica and your leg pain sounds similar to the pain he experiences. It may just be muscle strain, but it is worth getting checked out. How ever simple something is, it is always more worrying when you don't know what it is or the cause.

I hope you feel better soon

Hi Northerner. no I'm not on Statins so at least that rules one thing out. Been type 1 for 32 years so bit worried in case it's related. I will mention it even though I feel stupid as on a couple of occasions it's been bad enough to warrent painkillers. There's always something! Thanks for your reply.

Oh yes - I forgot you were a 'veteran'!🙂 I've always been fairly sensitive to aches and pains because I've been a runner for so long, so I know when something's not quite right. I have found though, that since diagnosis I'm even more acutely aware and have also got into the habit of seeing the doctor just in case - just used to muddle through before! I think there is a tendency also to first attribute anything to the diabetes, when it might be totally unrelated. I've had a pain in my side for a while now and at first was worried - then I remembered I'd pulled a muscle there stretching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back