Learning about Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

novorapidboi26

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am still learning about type 2 as I am type 1 myself........

I hear people talking about spikes, assuming this to be in there Blood Glucose levels in the recent post about brown rice.

Is rice, of any kind, and any starchy, slow release food not what Type 2 diabetics should be trying to eat to avoid these so called spikes?

What kind of spikes occur when eating rice (brown and white)?

I look forward to the type 2s insight........

When I was still reckoned to be a Type ,2 I was told to cut way down on things like pasta, rice, white bread, and pasta. If I had to have some, it should be wholemeal or whole grain and much less than I would usually have had. I've switched to wild rice, whole meal pasta, wholegrain bread and binned the spuds for the most part. I use sweet potatoes, carrot and swede mash or cauli mash instead.

I refer to an unusual rapid increase in BS as a Spike ..
when first dx i found mine came mainly from bread ...some get it from noddles for example ...but im fine with them ...we all act differently so the gps send out an agreed message sort of blanket advice in the form of a sheet !! and a plate with a piccie on it !!... so as a T2 you need to test to work out which food does what ...
another example is fruit ...i was a real 'fruit bat' but it sends me high ...so if I'm having some i will reduce my other carb intake to try and balance it out.

What i am trying to do is balance my Blood sugars so the increase range pre food -post food is not too extreme... does that make any sense ???

White bread and white rice send me high. That is what i would call a spike.
Brown and wholegrain and wholewheat seem to be good for sugar readings.

I was told to eat carbs at every meal (but I could have misunderstood) but the carb should only be a quarter of my plate with a quarter protein and the rest veg.

Please let me know if I am wrong as I am still working this out for myself as no real advice from GP - other than go and lose weight.

It does make sense, it seems really hard for type 2s..........

I was assumming that the foods that release there glusose slowly, like bread, pasta, low Gi foods, were better as there would be no abnormal increases in BG, just a nice smooth release........I am going down the wrong path?

well thats the gerneral train of thought but everyone is different really ...the member wallycorker goes by a low carb diet ...but the difficult thing is finding a diet that suits ..cos D is for life and not just christmas !

I suppose there can be no one rule for type 2 as everyone has different severities of insulin production/resistance....

I guess the point is we're all different because we all do different ammounts of exercise, have different metabolisms and eat different foods. I too was told to have some carbohydrates with each meal ( you're not imagining things Lucy.) and i think it's a good idea, no matter what the carb is, it will provide energy, which we all still need, and does release it slower than sugar.
I think the idea is that slower release foods mean that you don't get a huge rush of sugar all at once, a slower rate means that your resistant body or depleated insulin levels can keep up with the supply. As a general rule i was told that the more dark brown your carbohydrate the better. It's a matter of balancing the food going in with your ability to process it and your outgoing energy requirements. Easy to say and hard to do i think.

I didn't think that "spikes" were the major problem with type two diabetes, it was only if or when your blood sugar levels stayed high there was a problem. Gretchen Becker (page 73 in my book) has a table showing the likelhood of getting retinopathy depending on your Hba1c, and at 6 it's negligable, but that's Hba1c not your capilary BG level. Your Hba1c is approximately and average of your Capillary BG over three months.. So if your spikes are infrequent or small or weighed out by levels in the 4s and 5s, then i don't think you need to worry. Sometimes i "spike" as high as 17, but at last count my Hba1c was still under 7 (6.8 i think)

I'm not meaning to pick a fight or knock anybody's methods though, if what you do works for you, go for it!

Rachel

T2 is so complicated ....... thanks rachel yet again your posts are brilliant ...Im sure its the same with T1 lada mody etc ..totally confusing !!
as i have said before i was 1st tested in 1980.... then when pregnant in 1993 finally a dx in 2008 when they looked for T2 ... with a HbA1c 7.9 ...now a steady 6.4 ...
i think all Diabetes is complicated and all humans are quite unique ...even twins like some of our members ...but whats great here is that we are all in it together and share our ups and downs of real life ....

It does make sense, it seems really hard for type 2s..........

I was assumming that the foods that release there glusose slowly, like bread, pasta, low Gi foods, were better as there would be no abnormal increases in BG, just a nice smooth release........I am going down the wrong path?

It seems the problem isn't so much with the bread, pasta, rice or whatever, but with the variety. For whatever reason, white bread, rice or pasta has a higher glycaemic index than brown/wild or whoelmeal/grain varieties. I was also told to eat some carbs with each meal just to reduce the amount I was havin. I was on a very low income and used to bulk out my meals with pasta or rice (who knew?!). Nowadays, to bulk out a meal I use veg and find that if I eat a lot of carbs of any kind I get a horrid bloated feeling which leaves me feeling very lethargic.

It seems the problem isn't so much with the bread, pasta, rice or whatever, but with the variety. For whatever reason, white bread, rice or pasta has a higher glycaemic index than brown/wild or whoelmeal/grain varieties. I was also told to eat some carbs with each meal just to reduce the amount I was havin. I was on a very low income and used to bulk out my meals with pasta or rice (who knew?!). Nowadays, to bulk out a meal I use veg and find that if I eat a lot of carbs of any kind I get a horrid bloated feeling which leaves me feeling very lethargic.

The reason that white bread, white rice etc tend to make your BG's rise faster than brown bread/wholemeal/grain, or brown rices is because they are refined. This basically means that the fibre is stripped out.
Fibre slows the rate at which the carbohydrate increases your BG's therefore in refined foods the carbohydrate increases your BG's faster.
This is why if you eat a burger for instance, the carbs in the bun tend to give you a fast rise in BG's.

That answers my question as to when i ate a little hot dog from Ikea my BG's rocketed.
thanks PhilT

So as I type 1 learning about type 2 I could conclude that you should eat the carbs that are non refined so the glucose is released slower.............

Are cakes and stuff out of bound for tyoe 2s as well then?

So as I type 1 learning about type 2 I could conclude that you should eat the carbs that are non refined so the glucose is released slower.............

Are cakes and stuff out of bound for tyoe 2s as well then?

Not out of bounds as such, we just need to be careful. It's all about balance. Maybe reducing the carb content of a main meal so that we can have a pudding kind of thing.

But it is also dependant on how much insulin a Type 2 is still producing and what their level of insulin resistance is. I suspect that I can tolerate carbs better than some other type 2's (not that I'm bragging or nuffin') :D

Andy

I am still learning about type 2 as I am type 1 myself........

I hear people talking about spikes, assuming this to be in there Blood Glucose levels in the recent post about brown rice.

Is rice, of any kind, and any starchy, slow release food not what Type 2 diabetics should be trying to eat to avoid these so called spikes?

What kind of spikes occur when eating rice (brown and white)?

I look forward to the type 2s insight........

Don't forget that Type 1s can get spikes too, and quite possibly worse than a Type 2 whose own pancreas might be able to go some way towards reducing the extent. If your injected insulin does not follow the same profile as your food then you may spike or go low. Predicting the peak of injected insulin is sometimes difficult, as it may depend on a lot of factors, like absorbtion rate from injection site, prior activity or post-injection activity etc. Then you have to rtry and predict the rate of glucose release from your meal - also difficult! These things are made easier on an insulin pump, where finer control is possible.

I've taken to injecting 15 mins before eating nowadays so that the insulin peak is closer to the food.

Basmati rice has a relatively low GI compared to other types. Remember also that wholeMEAL bread is refined and has quite a high GI, what you should be eating is wholeGRAIN bread.

Last edited:
Wot they said :D

well thats the gerneral train of thought but everyone is different really ...the member wallycorker goes by a low carb diet ...but the difficult thing is finding a diet that suits ..cos D is for life and not just christmas !
Hi am64,

Not sure where you have got that from because I still eat quite a lot of carbohydrate - I'd estimate between 100 and 200g per day of it. However, these days, almost all the carbohydrate that I still eat is as fruit and vegetables.

I would agree that I eat very much less carbohydrate than I used to do especially the starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and pizza etc where I eat very little.

Hope that clarifies my situation.

Best wishes - John

Hi am64,

Not sure where you have got that from because I still eat quite a lot of carbohydrate - I'd estimate between 100 and 200g per day of it. However, these days, almost all the carbohydrate that I still eat is as fruit and vegetables.

I would agree that I eat very much less carbohydrate than I used to do especially the starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and pizza etc where I eat very little.

Hope that clarifies my situation.

Best wishes - John

soz wallycorker didnt mean to be incorrect in understanding your diet ..what i should have said is a Lower starchy carb diet ...re the starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and pizza etc
i apologise for my misunderstanding
AMx🙂

im type 2 and i find that when i eat white rice there is a spike yet when i eat basmati rice [the yellow pkt]there is hardly any rise in BS ,MIND YOU IM NOT A GREAT FAN OF RICE ANYWAY ,though i do love curry rice and hotdogs lol
mmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back