Lean Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valley1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’ve been diabetic type 2 since 2019. I’m not overweight and try to keep well and eat low carb food. I’m not great at exercising, but I do walk a lot. However my recent Hba1c blood test was 58 mmol/mol which was up from 46 a year ago. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong and it would be great for any guidance from others out there. Thanks

Do you test immediately before and 2hrs after eating, to see how much what you ate increased your BG? You have to find the things which don't increase it too much - and that is very individual, so no good me saying X amount of Y is OK, cos what's OK to anyone else doesn't really help - it is you that you need to find out about!

Hi. Be aware that T2 can be a mis diagnosis when it is actually late onset T1. Do suggest your GP does the two tests for T1. Being slim is one indicator.

You might find it worthwhile going back to basics and keep a food diary noting everything you eat and drink with an estimate of how many grams of carb you are having. The amount suggested is no more than 130g per day but many people need to go lower to keep blood glucose where it needs to be. From your food diary you should be able to tell how far away from that you are and see where you could make some savings on the high carb foods.
Would you like to say what sort of meals you have as people may spot some things which could be a problem.
But as suggested doing some testing should get you back on track.
This link may help with some food suggestions as it is a low carb approach which has been successful for many. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
As you do not need to lose weight then having healthy fats and protein will help maintain your weight whilst you are keeping a watch on carbs.

Hi. Be aware that T2 can be a mis diagnosis when it is actually late onset T1. Do suggest your GP does the two tests for T1. Being slim is one indicator.
Hi @Valley1, indeed my GP did the T1 tests on me owing to my slimness, and owing to family history the hospital even splashed out on a DNA test, which all confirmed I was just a skinny Type 2 as a small percentage of diabetics are. But definitely make sure they've tested you for Type 1.
As others have said, testing before and 2hrs after meals and studying what you eat should help you obtain better control.
Good luck. Nick

Thank you all for your advice. Keeping a food diary is a good idea and I will do regular testing after meals. I’m seeing the diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks, so will suggest I’m tested for Type 1.

Hi @Valley1 from another lean T2. I put my T2 down to an under performing pancreas, the under performance being for reasons unknown. All I can be sure of is that it is not due to wholesale autoimmune destruction of pancreatic cells or that my system is totally clogged with excess fat.

I can keep my blood glucose within bounds by controlling carbohydrate both in total quantity (about 120g/day) and by spreading their consumption through the day, thereby giving the system chance to deal with the last lot before subjecting it to another dose of glucose to deal with. I use feedback from my meter to keep an eye on things. It's more of an engineering than medical approach but it works for me. I also know for sure that gliclazide brings my levels down generally and can go back to taking it should my blood glucose rise to diabetic diagnosis levels again. I am a bit of a pragmatist when it comes to medication. Taking gliclazide would be far simpler and less hassle than trying to carve more carbohydrate off my diet.

I think it is worth remembering that food is just one factor in how our blood sugar levels can be impacted.
If you are under stress or having difficulty sleeping or simply not drinking enough liquids then all these can lead to higher readings and if you have a combination of these then the effect adds up. I find that meditations or relaxation and breathing techniques once a day and making sure I am properly hydrated and listening to calming audio books designed to promote relaxing night's sleep can make a big difference to my levels especially since I have been strictly controlling my levels for years now without meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back