Latest HBa1C Result

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
From a reading of 75 last May, down to 43 this week..... Lost over two stone, and to be honest I feel great. The downside is that the Dr wants to start me on Statins.... oh well........ I'm still pleased as the surgery actually rang me to give me a metaphorical pat on the back 🙂

From a reading of 75 last May, down to 43 this week..... Lost over two stone, and to be honest I feel great. The downside is that the Dr wants to start me on Statins.... oh well........ I'm still pleased as the surgery actually rang me to give me a metaphorical pat on the back 🙂

Well done!

I hope you're going to tell them no thanks..?
It might be a good idea not to give specific advice on such limited information as is in the OP. You have no idea what Diane's cholesterol levels are that meant that statins were suggested, or whether she has any other risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

Congratulations and well done on your weight loss and brilliant HbA1C

Why?
Just because you have actively pushed yourself into familial hypercholesterolemia levels doesn't mean everybody needs to force that problem on themselves.

The op has had a great result here, and needs to build on it, not crash off into other possible health issues.

You aren’t allowed to give specific medical advice like this on the forum, especially when you know nothing about the OPs situation.
fantastic reduction. How do you feel about the statins or is there anything particular you are concerned about?

That is brilliant!

Brilliant result.
I've been taking statins for years, absolutely no problems at all.

Many congratulations on a brilliant HbA1c result AND really impressive weight loss too. So pleased you feel better in yourself as well as that is really important.

As regards statins, I think there may be a push to tick boxes with this, perhaps as a result of covid and the risks of blood clots etc. I had a phone call this time last year from a slightly flustered nurse wanting me to start statins because my calculated Qrisk was 14%. I think she felt it had been missed before but previously both my nurse and consultant had agreed that I didn't need statins and my levels had reduced since then and my diabetes better managed.
There is a concern that people with diabetes are more at risk of CV issues but I am not sure how much that takes into account an individual's good or poor diabetes management, fitness, body structure and lifestyle and age is also a factor and it seems to be getting to the stage that they would like all diabetics over 50 on statins now.
I decided that I didn't want to take statins as my cholesterol is only just over the NHS threshold of 4 for diabetics at 4.5 at the time but 4.2 more recently. I do not feel that their Qrisk is accurate for me as I am fitter and healthier than most other women my age even without diabetes and I eat a lot of fat, particularly saturated fat as part of my low carb higher fat way of eating, so it would be sort of hypocritical to take statins without changing my diet and I do not want to change my diet because it seems to agree with me and I am far fitter and healthier now than I was when I was eating a high carb, low fat diet. That is just me and how I looked at my personal situation. Your cholesterol may be much higher or have family history of CVD that warrants statins or you may just wish to follow NHS guidance and that is your choice, but I think as with any medication, you do have a choice and you can decline but it needs to be an informed decision if you do decline, weighing up your own risk factors.

Many congratulations on a brilliant HbA1c result AND really impressive weight loss too. So pleased you feel better in yourself as well as that is really important.

As regards statins, I think there may be a push to tick boxes with this, perhaps as a result of covid and the risks of blood clots etc. I had a phone call this time last year from a slightly flustered nurse wanting me to start statins because my calculated Qrisk was 14%. I think she felt it had been missed before but previously both my nurse and consultant had agreed that I didn't need statins and my levels had reduced since then and my diabetes better managed.
There is a concern that people with diabetes are more at risk of CV issues but I am not sure how much that takes into account an individual's good or poor diabetes management, fitness, body structure and lifestyle and age is also a factor and it seems to be getting to the stage that they would like all diabetics over 50 on statins now.
I decided that I didn't want to take statins as my cholesterol is only just over the NHS threshold of 4 for diabetics at 4.5 at the time but 4.2 more recently. I do not feel that their Qrisk is accurate for me as I am fitter and healthier than most other women my age even without diabetes and I eat a lot of fat, particularly saturated fat as part of my low carb higher fat way of eating, so it would be sort of hypocritical to take statins without changing my diet and I do not want to change my diet because it seems to agree with me and I am far fitter and healthier now than I was when I was eating a high carb, low fat diet. That is just me and how I looked at my personal situation. Your cholesterol may be much higher or have family history of CVD that warrants statins or you may just wish to follow NHS guidance and that is your choice, but I think as with any medication, you do have a choice and you can decline but it needs to be an informed decision if you do decline, weighing up your own risk factors.

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe the stats on diabetes and the increase in blood clot related deaths with diabetes.
Having said that, I don't wear compression socks on long haul.
(To be fair, I rarely wear any socks)

You aren’t allowed to give specific medical advice like this on the forum, especially when you know nothing about the OPs situation.

fantastic reduction. How do you feel about the statins or is there anything particular you are concerned about?
I don't see "i hope" as giving medical advice.. why do you?

I decided that I didn't want to take statins as my cholesterol is only just over the NHS threshold of 4 for diabetics at 4.5 at the time but 4.2 more recently. I do not feel that their Qrisk is accurate for me as I am fitter and healthier than most other women my age even without diabetes and I eat a lot of fat, particularly saturated fat as part of my low carb higher fat way of eating, so it would be sort of hypocritical to take statins without changing my diet and I do not want to change my diet because it seems to agree with me and I am far fitter and healthier now than I was when I was eating a high carb, low fat diet.
This is precisely the problem with QRisk.. if you add or subtract T2 then the results can change dramatically yet they score doesn't take into account how well controlled your T2 is.
Personally I have decided that statins are a huge no no for me as the risks vastly outweigh any minor benefit.

Hope means what you want them to do, so advising them this is what they should do

Giving an opinion without advice would be saying something like “if I was asked to do that then I’d think about…” or “have you thought about…”

I think you have successfully wasted your opinion on anything you say as extreme fringe belief.
Expect the more reasonable and sensible of us to push back nonsense when we see it.
And I think that can apply across any diet choice, no matter how much some of us on here will agree to differ, we still have respect that we can disagree.
Just saying.

I think you have successfully wasted your opinion on anything you say as extreme fringe belief.
Incomprehensible...
Expect the more reasonable and sensible of us to push back nonsense when we see it.
So anyone who disagrees with you despite pretty widespread medical support is talking "nonsense"..

Glad to see you are open minded to new scientific discoveries..

Are you so grouchy because you aren't eating enough?

Incomprehensible...

So anyone who disagrees with you despite pretty widespread medical support is talking "nonsense"..

Glad to see you are open minded to new scientific discoveries..

Are you so grouchy because you aren't eating enough?

This forum is very open minded.
Some of us tolerate nonsense more badly than others though.
Others think "medical" support usually needs some sort of education behind it, not written in the pub after a Saturday night thinking "what book can I flog next week to someone desperate to believe"
I probably fall into both categories.

Well done @DianeS - that’s brilliant! Good for you.

That’s fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back