Last question I promise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkman_Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know its a long shot and I should not really be thing this but can you get rid of diabetes?

Im T2 and was massively overweight - the Dr keeps saying "oh yes I am very optimistic about this" but never elaborates on it even though I push him to lol

With weight loss and good management what should the aim be?

Having an aim may help me come to terms with this and also focus me instead of being such a worrying s0d which I have been recently.

Obviously the goals need to be realistic but optimistic too.

Am I being a bit too positive thinking that everything will sort itself out though?

By choosing to eat a healthy balanced diet you'll already have started to manage diabetes by helping to control your blood glucose levels, blood fats and blood pressure. It will also help to regulate your weight. If you're overweight it's especially important to try and achieve and maintain a lower weight. Even small weight losses lead to surprisingly big reductions
Finding the balance between the amount of carbohydrates and fat is important. Cut down on the amount of fat you eat - particularly saturated (animal) fats, as this type of fat is linked to heart disease. Choose monounsaturated fats, e.g. olive oil and rapeseed oil. Aim to eat a portion of oily fish at least twice a week.
Eat regular meals based on starchy carbohydrate foods - such as bread, pasta, chapattis, potatoes, yam, noodles, rice and cereals. Include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Where possible, choose wholegrain carbohydrates, these are high in fibre and will help you to control your blood glucose levels (see article on Carbohydrates).
Whether diabetic or not, an adult needs daily:
two servings of protein foods eg lean meat, fish, eggs or pulses (eg lentils)
at least five servings of starchy carbohydrate foods
at least five servings of fruit and vegetables
three servings of low-fat dairy foods

That is what I found for you bob ^^^(this bit is me now)>>>>, it horses for courses with this kind of thing for me going to the DSN every 3 mnth and her telling me i have lost weight is a huge achievement to me as beforehand i didnt care a less the diabetes was the biggest wake up call i ever had , and i try ny best every day exercise is the key for me i love to cycle and swim admittedly i have not done the first for abit now,also cutting out the use of lifts whereever i see one i always go for the stairs option, all of this can only be a postive , if you do everything in moderation it should show significant improvements.

Last edited:
bob... all has to be acheived slowly and steadily but control in T2 can help reduce the risks of complications and generally make you feel more balanced.
As its all about life style changes for the better you have to do it within your own comfort zone or you may for example loose alot of weight just to put it all back again. over the past year since i was diagnoised i have been making small adjustments which have given me small improvements ...but added up over a year it adds up to quite alot and ive maintained it.
Please keep asking questions its not a problem here how ever silly or small they may seem im enjoying reading the responses they evoke.
cheers
amx

Bob, dont' stop asking questions mate, as the answers are always interesting to other people, not just to you as the 'asker' - there's BOUND to be at least one other person reading who thinks "I was wondering that too........." !!

I'm still pretty new to all this, but I think basically you will never get rid of diabetes because you have the diabetic gene, passed down from your ancestors, but with good management and control you will lessen your chances of suffering complications quite dramatically. Doesn't mean you WON'T get complications as apparently it's genetic, according to the book I'm reading "The First Year Type 2 Diabetes" by Gretchen Becker (as recommended by many on this forum, available very reasonably from Amazon.co.uk 😛 ) but why put yourself at more risk than you need to.

As Steff said, being diagnosed was a wake-up call for me too - I would've carried on stuffing my face with all the wrong things, continued to add to my already mehusive weight, and probably died of a heart attack or something equally as horrible!! I've changed my diet drastically, appear to have pretty good control of my diabetes, and feel much healthier than I have done for years, despite still being a lot overweight (but not as much as I was 3 months ago, thankfully).

So, to answer your question, I'm guessing with weight loss and good management your aim should be to be in total control of your diabetes, rather than it controlling you, and living as 'normal' a life as possible, lessening your likelihood of suffering some of the horrible complications which can result from poor control.

OMG what a lot of waffe, to end up actually saying very little. Apologies.

xx

There is some scope for confusion, as depending on fasting blood glucose levels and / or blood glucose levels 120mins after a glucose tolerance test (82.5g of glucose in a drink), people can be diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 diabetes. Impaired glucose tolerance may or may not develop into type 2 diabetes, based on a combination of genes and environment, which actually includes aspects such as behaviour (particularly diet, body weight, physical activity) and time (which you can't do anything about - unless perhaps you're a Time Lord). Even if you do get type 2 diabetes, the same kind of things - diet, weight management and keeping physically active - can help to reduce the chances of developing complications.
It's an area that needs much more research...

I was told even if I lost weight, it's not curable once you've got it - just you will have it under control and have less symptoms.

Whether or not it's true I dont know - I was always under the impression it was something you could diet yourself out of having, hence me not taking my risk seriously...wish I'd known then that it wasn't curable, I might not have let myself go so far.

Hey ho - it's all forwards now though isnt it - things can only get better (and all that optimistic cr*p) :D

Thank you for all your responses!

I guess its just a matter of making the best of things now!

Silkman, you might be interested in this link

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/...-of-diabetes-symptoms-as-remissions-not-cure/

I found it helpful as I had never understood claims that I could be somehow magically cured if I did all the right things as that didn't fit with my understanding of anatomy and physiology. Clearly for some of us it is possible to manage Type 2 well enough that HbA1c levels get well below 6.5 consistently but I know if I stop managing my diet or eat more carbs than my body can cope with then my blood glucose goes up significantly

A sensible diet and physical activity all help keep the diabetes under control resulting in less complications. I have heard of a very few people who have had their medication very reduced because they are doing all the right things and have gained good control. On the down side I have never heard of diabetes being cured anywhere other than in sci fi programmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back