Last 2 mornings high of 22.7 & 21.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley1978

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What is going on??? I have been counting my carbs the same as usual and yes my sugars do tend to have a mind of their own but this is a bit wierd. It took me until dinner yesterday to get it down to 8.4 after giving 4 unit corrective over a couple of hours! today I gave 3 corrective as soon as I tested, then had my brekkie as normal but 2 hours later had risen to 22.0 so gave another 3 at 11.00 and when I tested for lunch at 12.00 had gone to 15.9. Just had my insulin as normal following carb counting and I am dreading seeing what it is at 2.00pm!

I have my appointment with the pump clinic a week today so at least the numbers will prove how erratic they can be! i had 2 hypo's on Saturday and struggled to get them so completely the opposite!!!

Sorry, moan over! Off for another wee! must be about the 10th this morning. no keytones though! had 0.2 yesterday but they went!:(

hi lesley how dreadful for you ((((hugs))) , i cant offer any advice really i dont use insulin or nothing but i do hope things get better for you . good luck with the appointment for next week, i do tend to have the opposite with myself im around 8-10 on readings then by night time im about 12-15

What is going on??? I have been counting my carbs the same as usual and yes my sugars do tend to have a mind of their own but this is a bit wierd. It took me until dinner yesterday to get it down to 8.4 after giving 4 unit corrective over a couple of hours! today I gave 3 corrective as soon as I tested, then had my brekkie as normal but 2 hours later had risen to 22.0 so gave another 3 at 11.00 and when I tested for lunch at 12.00 had gone to 15.9. Just had my insulin as normal following carb counting and I am dreading seeing what it is at 2.00pm!

I have my appointment with the pump clinic a week today so at least the numbers will prove how erratic they can be! i had 2 hypo's on Saturday and struggled to get them so completely the opposite!!!

Sorry, moan over! Off for another wee! must be about the 10th this morning. no keytones though! had 0.2 yesterday but they went!:(

Hi Lesley 🙂, I'm on Insulin and get some crazy morning readings usually if I have dropped Low in the night and then had a Glucose Dump 😡 I'm not a Pumper so I'm not sure if the same principles apply to you or not.
I hope you start to feel better and get some in range morning readings lol 🙂
Keep checking for those Ketones if you are still getting highs numbers and drink plenty of fluids.

Hi Lesley, no idea but here's a thought maybe!?
Is it a new pen /cartridge, could it be dodgy insulin?

Hope you settle down soon

ive had this problem before. did you wake up high or go high after breakfast?

if you are rising after breakfast you probably need to up your ratio. if you wake up high you might be hypoing at night and need to lower your basal.

Hi Lesley, no idea but here's a thought maybe!?
Is it a new pen /cartridge, could it be dodgy insulin?

Hope you settle down soon

Yep I was going to say the same thing. Change your insulin for a new bottle. Are you pumping yet or still on MDI? Bit confused as to how I can help as I can't remember what regime you are following.

Check your insulin cartridge. This happened to me a few weeks ago, couldn't understand why I was really struggling to get my BG down after several correction doses and then realised my cartridge had a crack in it ......or just change your cartridge, could be a dodgy batch?

Allison x

Poor you! It's horrible waking up with numbers like that, they just tend to wreck the whole day! :( *hugs*

Yeah, I agree with the others to check your insulin, and I'd check both your basal and your fast acting - if you're waking up high it might be your basal that's off.

Other things I would think about are maybe hormones? Or could you be coming down with something? I know my numbers can go a bit haywire if I am.

Hope things sort themselves out soon.

Hi lesley

That doesnt sound like fun. If your pens/cartridges are ok it does sound like a night hypo rebound. If it was me id leave things how they are one more night, do a test before bed, then another at 3 am (lovely!) this should tell you if youre going up or down during the night. Then adjust your background depending on the results.

Have more if they are true highs and less if its sending you too low.

The joys of insulin and trial and error!

xx

I have checked my cartridge and all seems fine, I am also right at the end of it. I will see how I go tonight and if I am the same tomorrow then some kind of drastic action may be required. I tested about 30 mins ago and was 8.2 so not too bad. Another check at 10.00 and we'llsee how we're moving!🙄

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have checked my cartridge and all seems fine, I am also right at the end of it. I will see how I go tonight and if I am the same tomorrow then some kind of drastic action may be required. I tested about 30 mins ago and was 8.2 so not too bad. Another check at 10.00 and we'llsee how we're moving!🙄

Thanks for all the advice guys!

like others have said, i would test around 3am to get a better picture of whats going on. on the plus side at least you have some amunition for your pump meeting 😉

Just a quickie. Before bed last night was 8.6 and this morning I woke to a lovely 8.7!!!!!:D Yipee. Still haven't got the foggiest what went on!:confused:

Woo hoo fantastic news, long may it continue.🙂

well, had 2 cups of tea this morning before I had my breakfast and morning injection at 9.30 (so only 2 hours later and had been stable all night) and when I tested I was 14!!!! I normally give 10 units for 2 weetabix and a banana but decided I would up this to 12 to see how I go on that and low and behold, 2 hours later I was 15.1!!!!!! gave 2 units corrective (that was at 11.30) and at 12.00 I was 8.8! 😱

What is going on?

well, had 2 cups of tea this morning before I had my breakfast and morning injection at 9.30 (so only 2 hours later and had been stable all night) and when I tested I was 14!!!! I normally give 10 units for 2 weetabix and a banana but decided I would up this to 12 to see how I go on that and low and behold, 2 hours later I was 15.1!!!!!! gave 2 units corrective (that was at 11.30) and at 12.00 I was 8.8! 😱

What is going on?

I don't know if you know how long insulin is normally active in you, but the 15 at 11.30 might just be that your insulin hadn't quite peaked yet, and when you combine it with the food, that means that you only went up 1 mmol two hours after eating. If you've now dropped, it might be the breakfast insulin kicking in, so I'd be a bit careful in case you drop further after the 2 corrective units you've given...

The rise before breakfast - late dawn phenomenon maybe? :confused:

Diabetes - it's never straightforward, is it? 🙄 All ammunition for your pump meeting though!

2 hours after eating weetabix i get a similar number! yesterday i tried taking my insulin 20mins before i eat and it seemed to work. im going to try again today 🙂

well, what would you know, 2 hypo's this afternoon. a 2.6 at 2.00 which I corrected and went up to 5.3 then dropped to 2.7 again at 4.00!! Just munched a chocci bar so hopefully should stay up for a bit now! God, I hate this game!

You are right though randomange, its exactly for this reason that I want to start on the pump!

Sounds like the Diabetes Fairy is up to her tricks!

There’s nothing so contrary as the Diabetes Fairy,
She’s as fickle as a cloud up in the sky.
You’d be warned to be quite wary, for her magic can be scary,
And you can’t escape, however hard you try!

There’s one special spell she’ll cast that makes your levels fall so fast
That no jelly baby feast can overcome,
When you think you’ve breathed your last, and your time on Earth is past,
Then she’ll spike you like a bear just bit your bum!

You may think she’ll pass you by if your food is low GI,
But she likes to cause confusion when she can.
Insidious and sly, with no earthly reason why,
She’ll confound the plans of diabetic Man!

Most of the time you'll find she is courteous and kind,
But be careful when she spreads her magic dust –
It may catch you from behind and play ping pong with your mind,
Just at the point you think you’ve got it sussed!

:D

Sounds like the Diabetes Fairy is up to her tricks!

There?s nothing so contrary as the Diabetes Fairy,
She?s as fickle as a cloud up in the sky.
You?d be warned to be quite wary, for her magic can be scary,
And you can?t escape, however hard you try!

There?s one special spell she?ll cast that makes your levels fall so fast
That no jelly baby feast can overcome,
When you think you?ve breathed your last, and your time on Earth is past,
Then she?ll spike you like a bear just bit your bum!

You may think she?ll pass you by if your food is low GI,
But she likes to cause confusion when she can.
Insidious and sly, with no earthly reason why,
She?ll confound the plans of diabetic Man!

Most of the time you'll find she is courteous and kind,
But be careful when she spreads her magic dust ?
It may catch you from behind and play ping pong with your mind,
Just at the point you think you?ve got it sussed!

:D

thats great Northerner and so true! It is such a confusing game to play, even when you are sticking to the rules!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back