LASIK restorative eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluepotter81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I am considering getting laser eye surgery to improve my long sightedness. This is not due to diabetic retinopathy but simply because I want to get better vision.

I have a read a variety of reports online - some saying good stories and others not recommending it due to the higher risk of complications.

I have no diabetic complications; I am 28; I'm perfectly healthy and the potential laser eye surgeon (maybe not surprisingly) said that my diabetes should not stop me from getting this done.

Has anyone else had this done, or perhaps knows of somebody who has had it done?

Thanks.

I don't know of anyone else who has had it done.

It is sensible to make an informed decision, so good luck with it. When I was thinking about it as I wear glasses, I was told not to have it done unless it was an emergncy. We are all different, so it will be different advice for you.

Hello

I asked about this a few years ago and was told I was not suitable for it as one of the critical things for it to work successfully is the healing time and apparently diabetics take longer to heal. That was about 5 years ago though so maybe things have changed.

I know someone who had laser surgery for severe shortsightedness this was about 10 years ago and she was amazed by the improvement to her vision. She suffered no problems from the treatment. Obviously you have to have one eye done at a time but the actual treatment takes a very short time and is done under a local anesthetic.

My sister considered this some years ago and after discussing it with her optician decided not to go ahead. She is short sighted and was not told initially that after treatment her distance vision would improve but she would need glasses for reading. Obviously the final decision is yours alone. As you have diabetes it is worth running it past your consultant who may even recommend a chat with the ophthalmologist attached to the clinic. Another thing to remember is that diabetes (allegedly) makes you more prone to cataracts. I developed one very quickly in 2006. Some people feel it was more to do with using VDUs for work for nearly 25 years as apparently high VDU usage combined with short sightedness makes you more prone to cataracts. This is not well documented as in the modern world it is bad news like the potential danger from mobile phones. I had a corrective lens implanted to treat the condition which resulted in near normal vision although I could no longer read without glasses (but most people over 40 cannot). Four months later I had the other eye treated as my eyes were quite unbalanced and there were signs of a cataract developing. Let us know what you decide.

By chance I was talking with someone yesterday who had this done about three years ago. He reseached it carefully beforehand and chose a London clinic that offered a more personal service. The cost was just over ?1100. Overall he is very happy with the improvement in his eyesight - he was very shortsighted. The only downside was that previously he could read without glasses and now needs a fairly strong perscription for reading. Sorry I forgot to ask the name of the clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back