Lantus to Levemir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomange

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was on a DAFNE course a couple of weeks ago, and at the end of the course I decided to swap from lantus to levemir to give me a bit more flexibility. The DSN deliberately started me on a lower dose of levemir, and told me to follow the DAFNE guidelines and adjust it as needed.

I've been doing this for the last ten days or so, and while my levels are still higher that I would like, I seem to be getting closer to the right dose for me. The thing that's concerning me is that I seem to be on a lot more levemir than I was lantus. The highest I ever went on lantus was 30 units, and I was on 20 units at the end of the course. I'm now on 42 units of levemir (split dose), and I'm going to have to increase this as I'm still waking up high. In addition to this my insulin:carb ratios are all higher.

Has anyone else switched between these two? Have you found that your insulin doses are very different?

Of course this heat isn't helping either! 😛

I was on a DAFNE course a couple of weeks ago, and at the end of the course I decided to swap from lantus to levemir to give me a bit more flexibility. The DSN deliberately started me on a lower dose of levemir, and told me to follow the DAFNE guidelines and adjust it as needed.

I've been doing this for the last ten days or so, and while my levels are still higher that I would like, I seem to be getting closer to the right dose for me. The thing that's concerning me is that I seem to be on a lot more levemir than I was lantus. The highest I ever went on lantus was 30 units, and I was on 20 units at the end of the course. I'm now on 42 units of levemir (split dose), and I'm going to have to increase this as I'm still waking up high. In addition to this my insulin:carb ratios are all higher.

Has anyone else switched between these two? Have you found that your insulin doses are very different?

Of course this heat isn't helping either! 😛

hi yes ive changed from lantus to levemir , initially i took less levemir as i was always hypo but recently have had to up my dose , i am insure why tho, and yes the heat makes my levels rise too grrr

I too, have switched from lantus to levemir, fairly recently. i can't say I've seen a HUGE difference in levels and am still tweaking my doses but (rather unhelpfully!) I'm not on too different a dose than I was of lantus...

I don't think it's uncommon to need a bit more levemir than lantus (I have no evidence to back that up!). Have also heard levemir described as more predictable and gentle than lantus.

I am on lantus and have considered levemir for a couple of reasons but have never got around to comitting to make the change. Lantus suits me pretty well so I also don't want to change something that works fairly well.

I would say keep adjusting as per the rules you learnt on DAFNE, things may settle once the weather gets back to normal.

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied. I posted this and then life decided to go and get busy on me!

Thanks for your replies, it's interesting to see that (once again!) people seem to respond differently! I think I was just a bit concerned as it seemed such a huge jump. I think I just need to remind myself that the correct insulin dose is the one that keeps your sugars level, and not what everyone else is on! 🙂

Exactly! Be guided by the numbers - thats the only way of any accuracy!🙂Bev

Hi Randomange,

Nathan was on Levemir to begin with from the first 16 mths of diagnosis...however he was needing very large amounts of Levemir to try and stabalise his BG...Even 70 units were not having any sucess.... at this point I refused to give him any larger dose...and asked for him to be changed to Lantus....He now requires 36 units

Heidi
🙂

Hi Randomange,

Nathan was on Levemir to begin with from the first 16 mths of diagnosis...however he was needing very large amounts of Levemir to try and stabalise his BG...Even 70 units were not having any sucess.... at this point I refused to give him any larger dose...and asked for him to be changed to Lantus....He now requires 36 units

Heidi
🙂

That's really interesting. I read on another message board that there are a few people for whom levemir just really isn't very effective, and I'm wondering if this is true and I'm one of these lucky people 🙄 I'm still increasing my levemir (50 units and counting...), and my meal ratios are all higher as well, so overall I'm taking quite a bit more insulin. I've just dropped a quick email to my DSN to ask her what she thinks. 🙂

That's really interesting. I read on another message board that there are a few people for whom levemir just really isn't very effective, and I'm wondering if this is true and I'm one of these lucky people 🙄 I'm still increasing my levemir (50 units and counting...), and my meal ratios are all higher as well, so overall I'm taking quite a bit more insulin. I've just dropped a quick email to my DSN to ask her what she thinks. 🙂

Hiya,

Initially Nathan was very stable on Levemir...however due to an increase in his growth hormones...I think....it just was'nt working in the way it should have been..and all adjustments in insulin dose's would make any difference...his N/R was also having to be increased at an alarming rate to..
Since being on Lantus all his doses have dropped dramatically....finger crossed.
I think it is right to say that some insulins are'nt as effective for others..as with diabetes some area's are all trial and error..
Hope all goes well for you...your DSN will be able to advise you more..I can only speak from my own experience with Nathan

Heidi
🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back