Lantus storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezsuttonuk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I have to travel abroad at the end of the month for a week twice.. both trips to warm areas e.g. Istanbul..
Now hopefully I can use a new Lantus each week as they last about 10 days on my dosage.. but my question is :-
I know that once started and out of the fridge I should keep it below 30Deg C and some people go on about storing their insulin in bags with freezer packs.. but Lantus should not be returned to the fridge after opening.. so how should I store it ? in an insulated bag without a cold pack to take the peaks of the mid day sun off ? or with cold packs and hope it doesn't damage the Lantus liquid ?

Frio pouches are the recognized solution for carrying insulin in warmer climes. Your Lantus can be returned to the fridge after a few hours of travel providing it isn't exposed to high or low temperatures ie kept stable, so your spare pen can go in the fridge when you get to your destination and still be fine and not "start the clock" on it's use. I would be wary of using freezer packs in case it damages the insulin by freezing it or possibly cracks the glass phial within the pen.

Frio wallets are very common to keep insulin cool. That said, whilst you will be in a hot country, I doubt if you will be storing your pen in direct sunlight.
Freezer packs can be too cold.

I now use a pump but have to carry insulin pens with me as backup when I go away overnight which is about once a fortnight. I always take my Lantus cartridge out of the fridge just before I leave home and return it a day or two later. I do this 10 (or more) times before throwing it away.
Whilst pump failures are rare, they do happen so I have had to use one or two of these cartridges that have been in and out and in and out and ... of the fridge. They worked absolutely fine.
So, I would not be afraid of returning any unused cartridge (or pen if you use single use pens) to the fridge. I fact, I recommend taking a spare one with you even if you think your open one should last. It is important to take a backup.

Another who suggests Frio, used them many a time when travelling abroad in hot climates, depending on how hot temps get wallet may need need to be reactivated after few days.

so how should I store it ? in an insulated bag without a cold pack to take the peaks of the mid day sun off ? or with cold packs and hope it doesn't damage the Lantus liquid ?
If you use cold packs, keep them cool (in the fridge), not frozen. They'll help keep your insulin cool in hot weather without freezing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back