Lantus prefilled pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

I use the Lantus prefilled pens. I recently received an email from DUK which seemed to say that these are now being discontinued. Is this the case and if so what do I need to change to? How else is Lantus available?

your kidding right? those pens are great!
i don't know what im gonna do if they get discontinued do we have to go to our docs to get a new prescription i guess?

That article says that the prefilled Solostar and the reusable Clikstar will be available. The Clikstar will use a 3ml cartridge.

So I guess if you are currently using a different prefilled device and want to stick with prefilled you need to ask your Dr for a Solostar prescription.

I have an autopen (which is reusable) which I put the cartridges inside. I will continue with this unless the pen breaks and then I guess I would get a Clikstar device.

oh thats alright i use solostar anyways 🙂

When on MDI I used to use Opticlik or Optiset (can't remember which), and regularly found that they cracked and leaked 😱

I switched to SoloStar and found these much better. So if anyone is currently using the pens which are being withdrawn, I'd recommend SoloStar 🙂

Oops! It is only from Dec 2011. I am glad they let us know well in advance. Which is better, Solostar or Clikstar? What is the difference?

I use Solostar - Its great for me , when I had my stroke the DSN changed me over to it , not looked back since 🙂

Hugs Mo xx

You can also use Owen Mumford's Autopens (blue for 2u, green for 1u). They're rubbish but they do fit Lantus carts.

You can also use Owen Mumford's Autopens (blue for 2u, green for 1u). They're rubbish but they do fit Lantus carts.

I think I used the green one for a while. Was the number of units in a little digital display window?

I absolutely hated it!

Solostar are prefilled disposable pens.

ClikStar uses 3ml cartridges and is re-usable.

Having had lots of problems with Autopens in the past I'm now much happier using the Clikstar pen.

NiVZ

I think I used the green one for a while. Was the number of units in a little digital display window?

I absolutely hated it!

I use the green one currently - everyone seems to hate autopens, me included! I had hoped to pick up a clickstar at my annual review next week, but now that's been cancelled (see my thread 'This may be about to happen to you...')

What's not to hate?

clunky...
plasticky...
no dose redial if you make a mistake...
aggressive spring-loaded delivery via a fiddly sliding button...
dose numbers thoughtfully printed in an ink that wears of in the second week of use...

They are an absolute horror.

What's not to hate?

clunky...
plasticky...
no dose redial if you make a mistake...
aggressive spring-loaded delivery via a fiddly sliding button...
dose numbers thoughtfully printed in an ink that wears of in the second week of use...

They are an absolute horror.

Sounds familiar!

I think I went through about 6 of them in 3 years because the dial and digital bit always ended up breaking.

I found the injections always hurt because the only way to get the full dose was to do it very quickly!

Solostar all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back