Lantus loses activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

iharding

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm on 15u/day of Lantus, so a 3ml prefilled pen lasts 20 days. Woke up this morning with BG of 15mmol/l, which had been rising all night. Down to 6.4mmol/l at 10:30 this morning, four hours after breakfast, but now at 9.4, and steadily rising.
This has happened several times over the two years I've been using Lantus, and no doubt will be resolved when I switch to a new pen, as it has every time previously.
Normally happens towards the end of the 20 day usage period for a pen, but at least once has happened in the first week.
The pens are refrigerated until the day of first use, then kept in a bedside cabinet which is the opposite side of the room to the radiator and never in direct sun. The room doesn't get above 20C for most of the year, and is more like 17-18C for most of the day and overnight, except for very hot summer weather.
I always check expiry dates. This latest one has a date of 31/07/2024.
In 20 years of using Hypurin Bovine Lente, I never once had a vial lose activity like this, and those used to last 6-7 weeks.

Is this an inherent problem with Lantus? Is there a workaround? I would rather not keep it refrigerated as that makes it sting as it's injected, and according to the instructions shouldn't be necessary.

When I was on pens I used to keep them in a small Frio bag when out of the fridge. They were kept cool but not very cold. I mostly did it because the office where I worked was very hot, but it might serve your purpose.

Thanks Patti, I certainly might start keeping the pens in a Frio, but I'm not sure this is temperature related. It's happened maybe 5-10 times in the last couple of years, summer and winter.
Was wondering if others had had similar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back