Lantus cartridge pen/disposal one

Dragon queen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone experience of cartridge Lantus pens please. I’m finding it hard to turn the dial on my disposable one. It’s slipped in my hand during injection due to weakness in left hand. Wondering if a reusable one be better??? I also take novo rapid

I used Lantus pens with cartridges for 12 years and still have them as back up in case my pump fails.
Thankfully, on day one, I was asked if I wanted single use or reusable insulin pens. The only time I used single use ones was when I was on a trial. The single use pens wer cheap and badly made. Reusable pens are far more robust.
As I have had a pump for 8 years, my pens are quite old and used rarely so I do not know what is available now. I do know that Lantus cartridges are different to NovoNordisk ones so cannot use NovoPens which can be used for NovoRapid.

Aww thank you yes I’ve had 3 pens fail jam up and refuse to wind either up or down. Hence hoping to move to reusable pen. So your reply has been a great help. I just need to check if same needles fit the pens. At moment same ones do both my disposable pens.

Aww thank you yes I’ve had 3 pens fail jam up and refuse to wind either up or down. Hence hoping to move to reusable pen. So your reply has been a great help. I just need to check if same needles fit the pens. At moment same ones do both my disposable pens.
Yes, the needles are completely universal.
They fir single use own and reusable pens. They fir Lantus pens and NovoRapid pens. They profit more but I haven't had the need to try.

When you request reusable pens, ask for two of each type so that you have a back up.
And, if your dose is small, ask for a pen that doses half units. I know this is available for NovoRapid but not sure about the Lantus pens.

It’s slipped in my hand during injection due to weakness in left hand. Wondering if a reusable one be better???
I'm not sure. The Novo Nordisk reusable pens feel heavier and more professional but I'm not sure they'd be easier to use. It's probably worth you discussing it with your DSNs who'll know the various pens and will presumably understand something of your needs.

I'm not sure. The Novo Nordisk reusable pens feel heavier and more professional but I'm not sure they'd be easier to use. It's probably worth you discussing it with your DSNs who'll know the various pens and will presumably understand something of your needs.
Thank you I don’t suppose you know the length of reusable Novo pen??? I think I need the Novo pen echo for the half units option? I’ve found the reusable pen for Lantus is shorter which is a huge help to me.

Thank you I don’t suppose you know the length of reusable Novo pen??? I think I need the Novo pen echo for the half units option? I’ve found the reusable pen for Lantus is shorter which is a huge help to me.
I can't lay hands on a tape measure just at the moment but my NovoPen Echo with the cap on is about an eighth of an inch longer than an iphone 8 plus or an inch longer than a £20 note. Not sure if that helps you.

I can't lay hands on a tape measure just at the moment but my NovoPen Echo with the cap on is about an eighth of an inch longer than an iphone 8 plus or an inch longer than a £20 note. Not sure if that helps you.
Thank you yes it’s shorter then I have iPhone 7 Plus. I struggle to hold pen and push down one handed as left hands hopeless. I can’t hold it still as disposable pens longer. Thank you for your help sweetie

Thank you I don’t suppose you know the length of reusable Novo pen?
I have a Novopen 6 and a tape measure. It's 14.5cm without a needle, 15.5cm long with a needle (though I imagine that depends on the needle brand a bit). With the cap on it's 16.5cm long. So slightly longer than a disposable pen (I have a to-be-recycled one of those).

Back