lantus at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all, not been on this in a while, was in hospital gettin an operation on my neck but im thankfully on thee mend now 🙂

Anyway, I currently take lantus in the morning but was at the diabetes clinic today and the doc suggested that i should move to evening as my lantus seems to be running out and when it peaks, it peaks with my novorapid aswell so i end up going hypo.

just wondered if taking lantus at night has a huge impact on good sugar levels?
can it increase hypos at night? this is one main reason why i took lantus in the morning as i was scared of hypos during the night.

any feedback would be great. hope ur all well 🙂

I take mine at night - but I have only been on insulin for 10 weeks or so, after years of tablets

I think though everyone else take theirs at night too

Good luck

Hazel

I am starting on Lantus and because i drop so much overnight I am taking mine in the morning too

Hey, glad you are doing well after your op 🙂

You shouldn't get hypos at night because Lantus is supposed to keep your BG at a steady level. If you do it's because the dose is too high. Most people do take their Lantus at night.

I take my lantus in a split dose, half in the morning and half at night. I used to take it at night.

The biggest problem people tend to find taking it at night is that if it runs out (which you say yours does) then it leaves you higher pre-dinner/pre-bed. Now that can be sorted by adjusting your novorapid/humalog/apidra dose.

Hope you continue to recover

...just wondered if taking lantus at night has a huge impact on good sugar levels?
can it increase hypos at night? this is one main reason why i took lantus in the morning as i was scared of hypos during the night.

Hi, glad to hear that the op went well! I'm pretty new to the game, having been diagnosed just under a year, and have had various ups and downs with lantus. I've always taken it at night, but was getting a few night hypos, especially when my control improved and I was going to bed at 7 or 8 instead of 11-15. Part of the problem was, I think, that the lantus was peaking an hour or two after injection. I have thought about moving to a morning injection, but decided it's still early days and have persisted at night.

Then, as you may have read in the 'bloomin basal' thread, I have had a situation where I have been having to reduce my dose considerably. I feel that I now have a reasonably good handle on things, so I think that getting the dose right is really important, and knowing when you might need a snack before bed, or reduce further after exercise etc. I'm now on 9 units, which is a 55% reduction from 5 weeks ago, but fewer problems during the night and waking to good morning levels.

Of course, that might all change tomorrow!😱🙂

Hey all, not been on this in a while, was in hospital gettin an operation on my neck but im thankfully on thee mend now 🙂

Anyway, I currently take lantus in the morning but was at the diabetes clinic today and the doc suggested that i should move to evening as my lantus seems to be running out and when it peaks, it peaks with my novorapid aswell so i end up going hypo.

just wondered if taking lantus at night has a huge impact on good sugar levels?

In theory with lantus it should last for 24 hours, with no real peak and therefor so long as the dose is right it shouldn't make you hypo. However the reality is very different and lots of people report experiencing peaks and/or it 'running out' early. I take lantus at night and seem to be lucky in that I don't appear to have any sort of peak and it lasts long enough for me (the few times I've forgotten take it it would appear it lasts longer than 24hrs as I've had no problems!) it may be worth trying it at night as your dsn says but maybe set an alarm for some overnight tests if you're worried about hypos.splitting the dose may be appropriate so worth discussing that option with the dsn too...?

hi there loz just wanted to say glad things went ok with the op 🙂

hi loz,

i take my lantus at night and have never had any problems with it. i find it is better than the insulatard i was on as the profile of the lantus is smoother so it doesnt spike. plus it does cover me for the whole 24 hours 🙂

I was on Lantus until a few months ago when my DSN changed me to Levemir to see if it would last the 24 hours (which the Lantus wasn't). Unfortunately this didn't seem to have much effect and I am now taking the Levemir as a split dose though it does mean I can take different amounts for night-time and during the day which I find works quite well.🙂

I was on Lantus until a few months ago when my DSN changed me to Levemir to see if it would last the 24 hours (which the Lantus wasn't). Unfortunately this didn't seem to have much effect and I am now taking the Levemir as a split dose though it does mean I can take different amounts for night-time and during the day which I find works quite well.🙂

Lantus has a 24 hour profile, but does not last this long in everybody, then it is usually split into two dose.

levemir has a profile for 12-18 hours only and is usually taken therefore twice a day, morning and bedtime. Which is why you are probably better now you are on the split dose. 🙂

Hey all,

thanks for all ur feedback.

I took my first lantus dose lastnight and i was 7.0 at 3am then woke to 6.5 at 8.30. Tonight before i took my lantus i was 13.7 but its only the second night, might take more time to adjust.

Hey all,

thanks for all ur feedback.

I took my first lantus dose lastnight and i was 7.0 at 3am then woke to 6.5 at 8.30. Tonight before i took my lantus i was 13.7 but its only the second night, might take more time to adjust.

Lantus normally takes 3 days for any adjustments to show, but remember this maynot be the case for everyone, hope it goes well for you! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back