lantus at night when drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all,

Just recently moved from taking lantus in the morning to night time and just wondered if I need to still take my insulin at night when im out drinking...
or will it drop my sugar levels because im taking it at the time of drinking?

Usually I take my lantus in the morning so its after I have had a sleep and when im not drinking anymore as its the next day.

If I've been out drinking I normally drop my lantus a little - maybe 10%, and make sure I have a snack beore bed. But I do still take most of it!🙂

Hey all,

Just recently moved from taking lantus in the morning to night time and just wondered if I need to still take my insulin at night when im out drinking...
or will it drop my sugar levels because im taking it at the time of drinking?

Usually I take my lantus in the morning so its after I have had a sleep and when im not drinking anymore as its the next day.

Not sure about the lantus, but you will need to watch your fast-acting insulin doses. I believe the general advice when drinking is to eat carbs, like crips or sandwich to compensate. also depends what you are drinking - some alcoholic drinks will have a lot of sugar and others none, so it can make your blood sugar rise quite dramatically, then drop (not that I'm an expert on the affects of alcohol, you understand, LOL!)
Have a nice evening anyway 🙂

Hi,

lantus works for up to 24 hours regardless of when you take it. It has a peakless profile and so long as your dose is right it is meant to keep your levels steady throughtout the day/night. Also, if you were to decrease it , it can take up to 3 days to have an effect, so not going to work while drinking! Other things to consider when drinking, are maybe decrease your usual fast acting dose if you may be drinking a lot, and to eat more carbs especially before bed.

Drinking can cause delayed hypos so be aware of this also, and monitor regular after drinking :D

hope this helps 🙂

Hi,

lantus works for up to 24 hours regardless of when you take it. It has a peakless profile and so long as your dose is right it is meant to keep your levels steady throughtout the day/night. Also, if you were to decrease it , it can take up to 3 days to have an effect, so not going to work while drinking! ...

I've found that I get a slight peak about 4 hours after injecting lantus, which I believe is not uncommon. Also, if I didn't reduce it after a night's drinking I'd definitely fall too low - it doesn't seem to take 3 days for me!😱

Hi,

lantus works for up to 24 hours regardless of when you take it. It has a peakless profile and so long as your dose is right it is meant to keep your levels steady throughtout the day/night. Also, if you were to decrease it , it can take up to 3 days to have an effect, so not going to work while drinking! Other things to consider when drinking, are maybe decrease your usual fast acting dose if you may be drinking a lot, and to eat more carbs especially before bed.

Drinking can cause delayed hypos so be aware of this also, and monitor regular after drinking :D

hope this helps 🙂

Hey 🙂 kk. So do you mean that its ok for me to take my lantus in the morning or should I take it when im out drinking at my usual time of 10.30pm??

Yip this has helped me alot, ta xxx

Hey 🙂 kk. So do you mean that its ok for me to take my lantus in the morning or should I take it when im out drinking at my usual time of 10.30pm??

I take mine when I get home, which may be up to a couple of hours later than normal. I suppose it depends on how late you go out drinking!🙂

I've found that I get a slight peak about 4 hours after injecting lantus, which I believe is not uncommon. Also, if I didn't reduce it after a night's drinking I'd definitely fall too low - it doesn't seem to take 3 days for me!😱

I know, we are all different arnt we. Im just quoting general advice from my dafne course. I think like all things diabetes we need a bit of trial and error to see what works for us individually? And especially when drinking we need to err on the side of caution. 🙂

You shouldnt change the times of taking lantus unless told to by your team. It is meant to be taken at the same time every day, so if you are currently taking at 10.30, thats when you should "officially" take it. But like northener has said it might be worth reducing the dose and see how you go on, then you will know for next time. Cheers!

the diabetic doctor thinks my lantus was peaking in the afternoon as I was goin hypo alot then, so thats why I have moved to night time, to see if this helps.

You shouldnt change the times of taking lantus unless told to by your team. It is meant to be taken at the same time every day, so if you are currently taking at 10.30, thats when you should "officially" take it. But like northener has said it might be worth reducing the dose and see how you go on, then you will know for next time. Cheers!

Ok yip i will take it a couple of hours later and see how that works out 😛

I know, we are all different arnt we. Im just quoting general advice from my dafne course. I think like all things diabetes we need a bit of trial and error to see what works for us individually? And especially when drinking we need to err on the side of caution. 🙂

Indeed - I'd rather wake up a bit high than drop low in the night - that's worse for me than a hangover!😱

aww thanks, goin out this saturday 🙂

your all too nice on this thing :D:D hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back