Lancing sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkman_Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I am a newbie so please bear with me!🙂

When you are taking blood to test your glucose, does it have to be from your fingers or is say the top of your arm ok?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:
I'm fairly new at this myself, but I was told fingers. Presumably because they're easier to get at.

Maybe yeah - I find that it doesnt hurt as much on my arm though - just being a wimp 🙂

hi silkman bob and welcome to the forum , I find it best to take from the side of the finger but use diffirent finger so your not using the 1 all the time , i have never tryed anywhere else yet but if i remember from my leaflet i got with my meter it did mention the thigh is a good place as it is muscley, never done the arm before but i guess if it sits mroe comfortable with you and your getting sufficeint blood then its ok, im sure some one will come along and give you sounder advice

Like so many things in diabetes, the answer all depends, but here it depends on your system, not your body / physiology...
Welcome to the forum - and the world of questions and answers, which often begin with "depends"...
In this case, it depends on the blood glucose testing system you are using - some say wrist (same side as palm of your hand) is OK. If using fingers, key thing is to use the sides, not pads, as sides have fewer sensation nerve endings, so it's less painful, both at the time, and afterwards, as you also pick things up with pads of finger not the sides.

Hi Bob, as others have said it depends on which meter you are using - with some it is possible to use the thigh or the forearm, although this is not recommended if you believe your blood sugar may be very low s the blood taken from these sites will actually show a delay of up to two hours - that is, how your levels were up to two hours ago.

Using the sides of alternate fingers allows them to heal and not get as sore. Avoid using the thumb or forefinger as these are used most in manipulating things so you don't want them to get too sore. If your finger-pricking device has a 'variable depth' control, experiment to find which is the most comfortable setting for you whilst still being able to produce sufficient blood. Make sure the finger is clean (and the ones handling the test strips!), and a warm finger will produce blood more easily.

I know a german girl who uses her ear loob? I know sounds crazy but she's friends of our family and thats what she was taught to do in Germany. I don't fancy it. I use my fingers, mainly my thumb and have done for 25 years sob x x

It makes a kind of sense, ears bleed longer and more than almost any other part of the body.

the blood taken from these sites will actually show a delay of up to two hours - that is, how your levels were up to two hours ago.

My finger pricker thingy allows lancing sites other than fingers (hands and forearms, I believe, although I've never tried!) but I was totally unaware that doing this would not give a bang up to date reading, so thanks for that.

I love it when other people's questions yield new info, or answer questions I had myself.

Welcome, Bob, btw!

xx

I was provided with another kind of cover for my tester that is for places other than the fingers. It is a clear cover with a bit of a dint in the end. Haven't tried it yet though.

I was provided with another kind of cover for my tester that is for places other than the fingers. It is a clear cover with a bit of a dint in the end. Haven't tried it yet though.

ditto the pamphlet i got says thats for bigger area then my finger so leg and arm etc etc

Last edited:

My meter came with a clear piece for testing other places, I normally use the fingers on my left hand (I'm right handed), and if anyone else is around and I want to give my left hand a rest, I get them to do my right hand for me.

never tried anywhere else, but some places are more difficult to get at than others.

I don't like using other sites for testing I found it more painful and more difficult to get blood.

But as northener says if you are tetsing for a hypo you should use your fingers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back