Lancing Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Rebbeck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes controlled by insulin and tablets. My test equipment was changed by my GP's surgery because apparently the readings on the new text meter are more accurate - no problem with that.

However, the lancing device supplied in the kit is very flimsy and requires me to handle the lancet which I didn't have to do previously.

Already (after < 10 months use), the lancing device has broken (I test 3 times daily). I have been told that the device is not available separately from the meter - they are a complete kit!

Have any others come across this daft situation - is it an NHS standard of just my local GPs or health authority?

I am sure some lancing devices are separately!
Have you checked the companies website?

Can you not use your old autolet and lancets? I wouldn't have thought your GP would have any issue prescribing whichever lancets you choose to use.

Do you have to use that lancing device? I believe there are ones you can get off Amazon.

Thanks for your answers ...

- there's no problems with obtaining cartridges, lancets, devices etc. for me - I will buy them - BUT the question I've asked is "have others experienced the situation where an NHS supplied lancing device can not be replaced by a new lancing device, only by a complete kit" - it seems such a waste to supply both when only one item is required - my surgery can only supply the complete kit it seems.

grovesy - maybe, I'll ask. Seems such a waste of money otherwise!
Agreed! I've always got my replacements directly from the manufacturers rather than going back to the NHS - perhaps it's because they only stock complete kits, provided by the companies eager to get their strips prescribed, and would have to remove the lancet device from a kit, leaving it without one? The Accuchek Fastclix mentioned by @Jeffrey Forward is regularly voted the best by forum members - I use the Multiclix, which is similar, but I think they've stopped making them now. Some lancets I've got with other meters are rubbish!

I wasn't going to mention names but the busted lancing device is a Glucoject Dual Plus - the one I had before was a Accuchek Fastclix which I much preferred.

The GDP seems to be such a retrograde step where you have single use exposed needles when fitting and after use (sometimes accidentally stabbing yourself!) and it's far too easy to leave the used lancet (with the exposed sharp) lying around if only for a very short time - the device itself is also very flimsy and you almost have to dismantle it every time you test! Plus the GDP needle HURTS!

I'll be going with the Accuchek and buying my own stuff from now on and using the GlucoMen Aero which I was told is more accurate (or is that sales speak?).

My advise is that if you have/use a GDP, make sure you've go a spare to hand.

PS - how do I get an Accuchek rep. to call at my surgery ;-)

The accuracy might be true as meters have to be up to the latest standards, which have recently been upgraded!

In my experience lancing devices come with meters, I've never heard of anyone being prescribed a lancing device. All the lancing devices I've had used the same lancets (and 100 will probably last a lifetime). The Glucojet lancets fit most lancing devices {Quote}Compatible with the majority of popular lancing devices available on the market.{\Quote} so I don't see why you cannot use your old lancing device with the Glucojet lancets. If you have a broken Menari lancing device then I suggest you take it up with them, it's hardly a metter for your GP.

They do get the meters free because it means the pharmaceutical company is then able to sell the strips to go with it, and that is where they make their money. I had a lancing device from a previous meter which somehow did not hurt as much when using it. So I just swapped the old one for the new one. The old one was a lot larger than the new one. They both used the same kind of lancet (I think the lancets are universal anyway same as the needles).

Agreed! I've always got my replacements directly from the manufacturers rather than going back to the NHS - perhaps it's because they only stock complete kits, provided by the companies eager to get their strips prescribed, and would have to remove the lancet device from a kit, leaving it without one? The Accuchek Fastclix mentioned by @Jeffrey Forward is regularly voted the best by forum members - I use the Multiclix, which is similar, but I think they've stopped making them now. Some lancets I've got with other meters are rubbish!
The multiclix has been discontinued. It has the button release, the same as the softclix that I use, I have a fastclix but I don't like it, I find the button release method much better and the smaller head more accurate with placement.
https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/softclix.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back